Cleaning secondary chamber in Vermont Castings Resolute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Komrade

Jan 3, 2014
Eastern Panhandle (WV)
I have Vermont Castings Resolute "Version I" (with 1979 stamped in the back) that I got off CL and was mostly unused since new.

Been working out good with some initial help from this forum for mostly occasional use (first use this season due to cold, but used it for about a month last year when (mini-split) heater was out). I never bothered to clean the stove since I put it in 5 years ago.

I suspect the 2dary chamber needs cleaning, as I can't get the stove too much beyond 500F with dry wood and air open (themostat on max). I am pretty sure I had it in 600's in the past, although I can's say it was "with ease"

I found some manuals I saved, but the one that talks about cleaning the secondary chamber is for Acclaim model, which is a later model of the stove.

P.S. was able to "push" the stove to 600 this morning with careful and timely log feeding, but I still think it needs cleaning.

Last edited:
hi komrade any smoke backup? how's your chimney? any nests?

I have Vermont Castings Resolute "Version I" (with 1979 stamped in the back) that I got off CL and was mostly unused since new.

Been working out good with some initial help from this forum for mostly occasional use (first use this season due to cold, but used it for about a month last year when (mini-split) heater was out). I never bothered to clean the stove since I put it in 5 years ago.

I suspect the 2dary chamber needs cleaning, as I can't get the stove too much beyond 500F with dry wood and air open (themostat on max). I am pretty sure I had it in 600's in the past, although I can's say it was "with ease"

I found some manuals I saved, but the one that talks about cleaning the secondary chamber is for Acclaim model, which is a later model of the stove.

P.S. was able to "push" the stove to 600 this morning with careful and timely log feeding, but I still think it needs cleaning.
One way would be to remove the socket peice and you have a better view.

I just vacuumed one out about a month ago. You can get much out through the little holes in the back and slots in the bottom at the back, use a probe to move the ash around when you are vacuuming. A car accessory kit is helpful to get in the small spots.

If you really want to get it clean, blow it out through those holes Be prepared for a mess of ashes flying around. Best to remove the pipe from the socket and drop a big plastic bag over the whole stove except where the hose goes through, before blowing.

any smoke backup? how's your chimney? any nests?
No smoke backup.
Haven't looked into chimney, it probably needs a good brushing/cleaning
Nests are unlikely due to spark arrest

One way would be to remove the socket peice
What is "socket piece"?

At this point I am leaning to disconnecting the stove from the pipe, cleaning the pipe and vaccuming the back of the stove through the stove hole. I think was I was hoping for easy/lazy way out, but probably should do the right thing.

I started digging in the stove, and the passage going out of main chamber to secondary chamber (slots on the right side going up) were somewhat clogged with ash. I probably dug out a cup or two by just sticking a small fire iron in there. The ash dust ware really fine.

I also took a look via the airflow/themostat window in the back of the stove and that looked relatively clean. I can't imagine any more dust in there, but I wouldn't have imagined any in there in the first place. I guess some dust is getting pulled there by the draft.

Anyway to clean those passages other than blowing them out?

I guess if I am going to disconnect the stove from the pipe might as well put it on a dolly and blow it out at the same time.

Last edited:
You can remove the piece on the right. It's held by a single screw on center a few inches up from bottom just below the opening. Pry the right insert out, then snake your vacuum hose around behind the fireback as fat as it will go. I assume you've already vacuumed down behind the fireback from the flue collar?

You can remove the piece on the right. It's held by a single screw on center a few inches up from bottom just below the opening. Pry the right insert out, then snake your vacuum hose around behind the fireback as fat as it will go. I assume you've already vacuumed down behind the fireback from the flue collar?
Is that screw normally easy to remove, or frozen?

I had great success getting frozen ones out using a 1/4" rechargable impact driver when I rebuilt mine late last year.

Not sure about the VC, but most stoves you need to cut the air back from 'wide open' to get maximum heat. This is especially true if you have a good flue / strong draft due to cold weather. I will typically see my stove in the 300-400 range....climbing through 500, 600 ...700 as I CLOSE the air. Then it will level off and start to go down if I choke the air further.

Not sure about the VC, but most stoves you need to cut the air back from 'wide open' to get maximum heat. This is especially true if you have a good flue / strong draft due to cold weather. I will typically see my stove in the 300-400 range....climbing through 500, 600 ...700 as I CLOSE the air. Then it will level off and start to go down if I choke the air further.
The Resolute is a completely different animal, more like a cat stove, Corey.

Get it burning good with the bypass open, then close it, and it forces the air down through the secondary burn chamber. There is a thermostat to control the level of air through the downdraft secondary chamber.

I cleaned the pipe yesterday (for the first time in 5 years). The spark arrester was rather restricted contrary to my believe and "rough" inspection" from outisde.

The pipes had some stuff on the walls, primarily once the pipe penetrated the roof (I have about 8 feet above the roof line), but I did not think it was significant. Overall, I would estimate I got 6-8 cups of residue off the walls and off the arrester. I would think that's not too bad

One lesson learned: next time I clean the pipe, I am using a ladder to climb up (which I will have to custom make), I did not enjoy taking the pipe off (too heavy/cumbersome)

I located the screw in the stove mentioned in post above by defiant3, but haven't tried to clean the stove further yet (nor disconnect it)

P.S.
Last time I burned it got to 600 without (guessing after I cleaned those air passages)
Not sure I'll get to any further work before the "deep freeze" coming later this week.

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:
Good enough
4168ae1afe6163d1fbc27a6d041a41c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000