Cleaning the Harman XXV series

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keep-in warm

Feb 17, 2009
Lowell, MA
To other XXV owners...

The XXV design seems to be more difficult to clean as there is no direct access from the front of the unit. I have a corner install and I'm looking to confirm that this beast can be fully cleaned without being disconnected from the pipe.

I work in the automotive industry, so I have the tools, drywall vac, air compressor and leaf vac. Assuming I'm a contorsionist, Is there any reason to move the stove? I have already removed the combustion motor and have had no issues getting to the fines compartment. Brushing the pipe- removing the ESP and performing the leaf blower trick is not a problem.

Your thoughts and experiences are greatly appreciated.

aside from having to clean the pipe, there should be no need to move the unit. with any luck you have a short straight shot out the wall or a clean-out T for access to the pipe. You could move it just for exercise, cuz that sucker is heavy.

Thanks Delta-T. Definately won't see me moving this thing if I don't have to.

just hook the ole leafblower exhaust nozzle to the outlet of the pipe outside, have the wife open the door in the stove and have her stand there and hold the door, and you switch the ole blower on! She is sure to let you know how well the pipe cleans...and you wont even have to move that darned heavy stove! (kiddin! dont DO THIS! :ahhh: )

keep-in warm said:
To other XXV owners...

The XXV design seems to be more difficult to clean as there is no direct access from the front of the unit. I have a corner install and I'm looking to confirm that this beast can be fully cleaned without being disconnected from the pipe.

I work in the automotive industry, so I have the tools, drywall vac, air compressor and leaf vac. Assuming I'm a contorsionist, Is there any reason to move the stove? I have already removed the combustion motor and have had no issues getting to the fines compartment. Brushing the pipe- removing the ESP and performing the leaf blower trick is not a problem.

Your thoughts and experiences are greatly appreciated.

As lousyweather mentions above (EXCEPT the wife part...LOL), use the leafblower method, but do that LAST.....AFTER the stove & pipe has been thoroughly cleaned.....the whole thing is more effective that way.

As the others have mentioned, you shouldn't have to move the beast unless
you want to. If you can get to the fines box, you should have plenty of room to
get to the blowers and tee cap if you need to.

On 4th year with mine and still love it

Status
Not open for further replies.