Cleaning the Jotul F 400 Castine - Secondary Air removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cycloxer

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 9, 2008
Worcester County, MA
Somebody asked about cleaning the Castine. Well I took out my Secondary Air Assembly today by rotating the two latches on the side and removing it through the front door. You can also take out the back plate and 3 fire bricks. This then gives you a clear shot up the flue w/o moving the stove. No tools required. You can do this with your hands and a little careful maneuvering. Then you could either brush your flue from the top or bottom. Piece of cake. I have attached a few pictures.

Also, in Europe the top cover is not secured to the stove - it simply rests on top of the stove with gravity. I guess there is some regulation requiring access to the flue w/o tools. So, you could remove the two 10mm bolts on eithe side if you so desired to make access even easier. I prefer to have my stove top secured and I don't find it that difficult to disassemble - a couple minutes of effort.

Attachments

• clean1.jpg
    clean1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 8,026
  • clean2.jpg
    clean2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 8,760
  • clean3.jpg
    clean3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 7,124
  • clean4.jpg
    clean4.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 6,267
Nice work, again! Thanks for the tutorial and photos.

I need to take my secondary out and take a look, mainly because I have a section of the gasket that seals on the RH side is hanging out loose. I see the flat gaskets in your pictures...they must be just set in and are pressure fit, without adhesive?

Another question, is the flue accessible for cleaning (from my roof) without removing the back plate/fire brick assembly? I want to be able to sweep everything top down into the firebox for cleanup, if possible.

Did you have your stove top removed in any of the photos?

THanks

The side gaskets just lay on the shelf where the secondary asssembly sits. They shouldn't be too difficult to replace. They may have had some adhesive at some point, but they kind of get sandwiched into place.

You don't need to remove the back plate to clean the flue, though this takes about 1 minute to do w/o any tools.

Here is a pic of w/ the stove and back removed from when I installed the stove.

Attachments

• moving 2.jpg
    moving 2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 5,298
I was referring to your first series of pics when you say "back plate", it appears to be the embossed plate in the back of the firebox. You show it removed laying on the floor. You say "no tools required"....what holds this in/up? Your last post of when you moved the stove into the house, you removed the back of the stove, and you refer to this also as the "back plate", so I'm kinda confused. I don't want or need to remove the outside/back/rear of the stove, or the top. I just wanted to know if the embossed back burn plate comes out the door, how to do so, and if it needs to come out to allow top down cleaning of the flue.

I definitely want to take the secondary air assembly out to reseat the perimeter gaskets. Figured a stove and flue cleaning would be a good idea at the same time, IF I can brush from the top and push everything into the firebox where i can take all the residue out with my shop-vac.

Thanks

Okay, you don't have to take the outer Back Plate off of the stove for cleaning. We only did that to lighten the stove so that two of us could pick it up more easily and walk it up the stairs.

The Burnplate Back inside the firebox just slides up a bit and then twists right out exposing the 3 firebricks. This takes literally 15 seconds to take out the front door w/ no tools. You could do this to give you more access to the flue for cleaning, but it is not necessary. Just be careful w/ your firebricks when you take them out so that you don't damage them.

After you remove the Secondary Air Assembly I would put a small cardboard box inside the stove and brush from the top down. Then you will get most of it in the box. You can simply brush the remainder out of the stove. You definitely have to take out the Secondary Air Assembly because if you do not everything you brush out of the flue will fall on top.

You could swing the clamps forward and then pres up on the front on the Secondary Air Assembly. This will give you enough room to carefully reseat the side gaskets. You don't even need to remove the assembly to do this unless you want to replace the gasket at the back. If your stove is relatively new I am sure this is still in good condition.

Sounds good. Soon as we get a warm spell for a day or two and I don't have to run the stove, I'll tackle it. Thanks for your posts!

Got me thinking about one more thing, as I look at your photos.

Late last summer I ran my stove a few days during a cold snap, and I could smell smoke when she ran. I determined it was leaking out at the stove outlet; on my stove its oriented at a 90 so my flue is straight up. The stack came off, and I removed the two 10mm bolts holding this cast piece to the back of the stove. While I had it off, I looked into the stove, under my stove . There is a rectangular cast iron segment that stands up, I now presume on the secondary chamber section, and nearly touches the bottom of the stove top. It appears to be a baffle. I actually reached in and took it out through the now removed flue hole. What I remember about it when I put it back in, is it will only go one way.

Question is, did you see this when you dropped the secondary section out? I don't see it in your photos.

Yes, it is a small rectangular baffle plate that simply rests on top of the Secondary Air Assembly. There are several small features on that act as grooves to support this baffle and it can only sit in them one way. It is pretty self-explanatory once you have it out.

Much thanks to cycloxer. I dropped out the secondary burn baffle out of my Jotul Castine and couldn't get it back in. Removing the stove top did it for me, couldn't get it from inside the stove. Is it really necessary to put the stove top bolts back in? They are a pain.

No, you don't have to put the bolts back in. In Europe they are removed. Just remember that the lid top is loose if you go to move the stove.

cycloxer said:
Yes, it is a small rectangular baffle plate that simply rests on top of the Secondary Air Assembly. There are several small features on that act as grooves to support this baffle and it can only sit in them one way. It is pretty self-explanatory once you have it out.

So, if it rests on top of the secondary assembly, does it fall out when you drop the secondary? If so, how do you reset it trying to put the whole mess back up in one piece?

It has slots that hold it into position. You can either replace it from the top, put it back on the secondary before you put it back on, or if you can fit your hands between the secondary and the smoke deflector you can do it that way. It's not a big deal.

Thanks again cycloxer for the info on the bolts. If you drop the secondary in from the top the rectangular baffle plate is a cinch. Fitting your hands in there from inside the stove would be tough as I am thin and I can't get my hands in there. This thread is a great resource - the stove dealer was of no help at all.

I'll admit it is not easy to get to that baffle plate, but if you have ever worked on a modern German car, this is a piece of cake in comparison.

just wanted to say thanks for this thread topic, we have a warm spell this weekend and began to clean my castine today for the first time and it slowly dawned on me that there has to be any easier way to do it. Thanks again.

I understand the top does not need be bolted down, but I would prefer mine to be. With that, I need to re-gasket my secondary manifold. Reading this thread, I am still confused. I don't see any bolts to remove the top, so I'm assuming they are UNDER the secondary manifold. Or, can I get at them by lifting the stack and taking the rear flue outlet off? I see where one guy put his secondary back in after the top was removed, as he couldn't get it through the door.

I want to clean the stove real well when I go to install the new gaskets. My thoughts are to remove the top to make it easy and I can get at everything.

Line out the process if you would please!

If you remove the flue outlet you can reach into the stove and gain access to the two 10mm bolts that secure the top plate. They are located on either side. In Europe these bolts are supposed to be removed at installation, so they are not necessary. Then you can take the top off of the stove. The Secondary Air Ass'y is more easily removed and you will have full access to its associated gaskets. This is not difficult to do at all.

Reactions: bigealta
cycloxer said:
I'll admit it is not easy to get to that baffle plate, but if you have ever worked on a modern German car, this is a piece of cake in comparison.

LMAO! Love it! Been there, done that. I now know what to expect when I attempt this come spring.

Ok, I know this thread is older, but I had some pics for when I did this job a few months back.

First, I removed the back plate an the firebricks (img 4983, 4984)

I was able to get the plate/baffle out fairly easily from there. img 4986 shows the plate out of the stove with the vertical plate still on top. That plate just drops into place...no bolts secure it.

4988, 4989 & 4990 are some random shots of the baffles.I thought it would be much thinner. But it shows why it takes up some real estate in the firebox.

I tried like you know what to get the baffle/plate back into the stove. It was a bear...and I gave up. I removed the two bolts holding the stove top on and in 7 seconds, had the plate comfortably resting in its spot. img 4991

After that, I put the other plate on top of the baffle/plate. img4992

Once that was set, the top plate (cover if you will) went back onto the stove. You'll have to angle your hands between the baffle and the top plate to get the bolts secured. I started by hand tightening. First, I put a little anti seize on the bolts. After hand tightening, I used a small 10mm wrench to snug it up. I didn't torque it down with everything I had; just enough to keep it snug. I've done a few burns thus far, no leaks; everything is happy.

My intent was to to access the indoor pipe for cleaning. I have too many bends from the outside. Mission accomplished.

Hopefully, this will help someone out if they attempt to remove the baffle/plate.

Attachments

• IMG_4983 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4983 (Medium).JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 3,729
  • IMG_4985 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4985 (Medium).JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 3,183
  • IMG_4986 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4986 (Medium).JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 3,082
  • IMG_4988 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4988 (Medium).JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 3,043
  • IMG_4989 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4989 (Medium).JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 3,000
  • IMG_4990 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4990 (Medium).JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 3,214
  • IMG_4991 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4991 (Medium).JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 3,802
  • IMG_4992 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4992 (Medium).JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 3,221
I've been fighting with the secondary air assembly for at least two hours and cannot figure out how to turn it, or angle it properly to get it out the front door. I've rotated the two latches, can lift it and slide it around, but it just won't come out. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

It's much easier to remove the top. There are two (10mm?) bolts on the underside that hold the lid down. You will see the lid is gasketed, it is designed to be removed for cleaning. You can put the bolts back when done or leave them off. The weight of the lid is sufficient to seal the gasket.

I have tried to get to the two 10mm bolts, but that seems impossible without removing the secondary air assembly. If I can get that out, I plan on removing those two bolt and leaving them out so future cleaning is easier.

It shouldn't be that bad. I have done it, but maybe I have smaller hands?