Cleaning the stack with Lopi 1750

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brucek1$

Nov 21, 2017
Cook mn
Getting to be the end of my burning season and gonna clean the chimney. My question is does anyone with my same stove or similar remove the secondarys and brick from the top of the stove so when you run the brush down the stack everything just falls in the stove instead of having to take apart the pipe inside and vacuuming the stuff out of the stove? My stove pipe is kinda tough to get apart and i have it mortar in the stove collar so was trying to keep that intact.

I have the Avalon Rainier, similar stove.

I do not remove the tubes, but vacuum them. I do remove the bricks on top, so I do not have to deal with the liner/pie.

Pay special attention to the orientation of the baffle supports, take a picture before removing anything. Push the center brick up onto the one beside it, then start removing the bricks 1 at a time.
Curious, why is the pipe cemented to the flue collar? The pipe really should be serviceable and also include a slip section.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Pay special attention to the orientation of the baffle supports, take a picture before removing anything. Push the center brick up onto the one beside it, then start removing the bricks 1 at a time.
Curious, why is the pipe cemented to the flue collar? The pipe really should be serviceable and also include a slip section.
There is a slip joint connected to the ceiling support box. Ive taken it apart a few times and it just seems very hard to slide the single wall pipe up and down i think its the screw holes catching. The lopi flue collar is odd size so the stove pipe doesnt fit very snug so i just put a bead of the mortar around it to seal it.

I pull the baffle bricks out everything just to be sure and I’m being paid to do that. If it was mine personally, I’d only drop the bricks every few seasons. To do that, the pipe needs to be easily removable though. In your situation, pulling the bricks sounds like the best bet, it’s pretty simple if you pay attention to the support pieces.

I pull the baffle bricks out everything just to be sure and I’m being paid to do that. If it was mine personally, I’d only drop the bricks every few seasons. To do that, the pipe needs to be easily removable though. In your situation, pulling the bricks sounds like the best bet, it’s pretty simple if you pay attention to the support pieces.

Yeah for some reason the stove pipe i bought is really tight around the slip connection, the first time i took it apart i actually spun everything including the adapter and the chimmney pipe, i just figured if its not to hard to pull the baffle bricks and secondarys it would be easier and less mess, are the baffle bricks anymore fragile than the fire bricks on the sides?

Yeah for some reason the stove pipe i bought is really tight around the slip connection, the first time i took it apart i actually spun everything including the adapter and the chimmney pipe, i just figured if its not to hard to pull the baffle bricks and secondarys it would be easier and less mess, are the baffle bricks anymore fragile than the fire bricks on the sides?
Bricks are all the same, at least in my stove. Different sizes, but not more fragile.

In my 1250, I just push a couple of bricks up and slide them on top of the adjacent bricks. Leave them overhanging a little so there's something to grab onto when you move them back.

In my 1250, I just push a couple of bricks up and slide them on top of the adjacent bricks. Leave them overhanging a little so there's something to grab onto when you move them back.
Remember to clean the flyash off of those adjacent bricks periodically too. Overtime it can really stack up.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink