Cleaning up acorns....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wait next year maybe 10% what your had last fall.

Every Spring they bloom. If the weather cooperates and the wind blows the male pollen onto the female stamens you get a high fertilization rate. If it rains and rains and rains the pollen ends up on the ground without carousing and hobnobbing first you get a low fertilization rate.
Usually the acorns drop just before the leaves in theory so that the leaves cover the acorns.

Reactions: mwhitnee
There is a theory that the trees evolved to have random low and high years of production to defeat the critters who eat the acorns. During a bad year the population of the critters drops down and then a bumper year occurs and there are far too many acorns for the critters to eat all of them so more accords turn into seedlings . Many folks use the acorn drop as a predictor of future weather but most research doesn't support it.

I should give them to the new owner of my old house, maybe the squirrels would just take them instead of chewing holes through the garbage cans lol...

I am surprised squirrels haven't hauled them off. I had a Subaru I bought once that sat for 2 years for $100 in 1990. Went to start and it was fine. Needed a new clutch. Went to turn the blower on and it kept blowing fuses. Decided to take the blower out and found out it was completely full of acorns and both fender wells were packed solid including all the air vents. Surely you have a vermin problem with that much food around. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.