Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nicolaycbell

Nov 18, 2014
North Carolina
Howdy! After an unseasonably warm winter here in NC I am wondering if I even need to have my chimney cleaned this summer. I've always heard and abided by the clean it before each season mantra. However this past burning season I didn't even burn through 1/2 cord compared to my usual 1 1/2. I always burn hard seasoned wood so I'm not worried about excess creosote buildup. So...can i save my self $150 this year or should I bite the bullet and play it safe? Also in response to the inevitable suggestions to clean it myself the answer is no! I've fallen off the roof twice and don't plan on setting myself up for a third!

Get a soot eater... Do it yourself if possible...

Last edited:
The only safe way to know is to check it. Can you see the screen in your cap with binoculars. Can you look up the chimney from the bottom?

Sporatic burning may yield more creosote due to constantly having to heat up from ambient temp.