Clear Stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a post a while back about these.
I had one on my owb before i got rid of it.
My father law and a good friend both have them now and are having issues with them plugging up.
I had the same issues and removed it at midnight on a ladder in alaska at a wondrrful negative temperature outside
In a area that doesnt see the temps we do it may be fine though.

There are others out there like "clear skies"
This one was worse and another friend removed it after only a month.
Be careful it is 3k you cant get back

Here is a picture of the inside of the catalyst from clear stak that we removed from my father in laws stove last weekend. It plugged and would not burn any longer. This was installed in late september.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I don't see any possible way that a catalyst would be able to handle the volume of emissions and particulate matter commonly seen in an OWB. Throw in the fact that most users are "burning" green wood and it's just not going to happen.
I can see this working in some instances on a gasification type boiler but most catalytics need a pretty decent temperature to get them lit up......That electric element would have to have pretty high output.

Lot's of questions all the way around from what I can see.

The element is suppose to get it to 1200 or so degrees before the control board allows the damper on the OWB to open. In my father in laws case he is burning dry wood that is 3 ft long and split in half. The moisture meter say 16-21 when i tested it in sept.
He stay atleast two year ahead on wood, retired and nothing better to do i guess.

Anyhow once the damper opens the heating element turns off. The fire is suppose to maintain the catalyst at that point.
Not sure how that is possible with the temperature of the fire in this poor technology type stove.

Been trying to talk him into switching, he is waiting for me to fire up my Effecta.

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.