Q&A Clearance and Stove Questions from the Pocono Mts.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a chimney and flue in my basement- which is around 800 sq ft. My first floor is also 800 sq. ft and my top floor- which shares some cathedral ceiling space with the first- is 400 sq. ft. (2000 sq. ft. total floor space). I would like to have the ability to burn anything in my stove- but it seems that there are very few (if any) manufacturers that carry such a device.
A:No such thing..the closest is a wood/coal unit made by Harmon Stoves. It's pretty good on both fuels I

live in the Poconos Mountains area of Pennsylvania. Good firewood is easy to come by- for $100 a cord for seasoned oak. Coal is also relatively cheap and easily available- and I am told that our coal (from the Lehigh area) is some of the most efficiently burning stuff around. Pellets can be bought at the local hardware store. Can I find a stove that will burn all of the above?
A:Try the Harman--there may be some others. Stoves and Stuff (they have 4 stores including one in Stroudsburg) are a good source--I've known the owner for 10 years!

My goal is to at least heat the basement and first floors of my home. I am in the process of converting my basement into living space for my mother in law- so it would be an added benefit if the stove is easy to operate. I have reservations about purchasing a stove that relies upon electricity for operation- like the worm drive feeders on some pellet stoves. I would prefer one that CAN use electricity but will suffer no damage or loss of efficiency if electric is not used.
A: I'd advise against pellet stoves cause of electric use...the Wood or Wood coal option would be best I

I had a woodstove flue built into my chimney and am know ready to add a free standing woodstove. the flue is in the concrete block wall in a room that I am finishing. I need to get any info. i can on the construction of the wall behind the stove. What wall material is acceptable. Do you construct the wall the same as any other wall (i.e.- wood studs) or is there some other way to attach the wallboard (is it duraboard?) to the block wall ? Any information and resources you can identify would be helpful.

Answer:

Some answers are above in between your question lines..in addition:

The clearances are different for each brand of stove- some can be put close to a wall with no protection on the wall- others must be further. The most critical part is bringing the chimney thru the frame wall -- most chimneys I have seen are constructed wrong- that is the crock (ceramic terra cotta)- is too close to combustibles where it passes thru the wall. Either a piece of insulated pipe or special designed "thimble" should be used (ask your local retailer)- or a large "masonry wall patch" should be built around the crock where it passes thru the wall. As far as wall protection- most of it must be spaced 1" off the original wall. The clearance reduction is then approx 50% (from the normal specs).possible materials includes: Sheet Metal Dura Rock Brick or stone Pre-Made Stoveboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.