Clearance for old orley stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Joshc

Dec 7, 2018
Washington
I have an old orley stove for my shop and wondering about wall clearances. I've read a lot of conflicting points but what I keep reading is that with 24 gauge sheet metal with a 1" buffer the minimum clearance is 12". Is this true? I will be putting it into a corner of the shop.

Last edited:
With a proper NFPA wall shield the clearance is dropped from 36" to 12". The shield must be on 1" non-combustible spacers and 1" off the ground, open at the top and bottom so that air can freely flow behind it.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-stove-wall-clearances-primer.147785/

FYI, whoever sold the stove, broke the law. You cannot sell, exchange or give away uncertified wood stoves or solid fuel burning devices here.

Last edited:
What will the shop be used for?

Just a place to work on whatever I need and I usually have people over and play pool in it. It'll be used about 2 times a week
If there will be gasoline in the building by code you can't install a stove in it.

Ok then yes you can reduce clearances down to 12 with a ventilated heat shield as you described. But it still will not be a legal install in your state because it is an uncertified stove