Joshc Posted By Joshc, Feb 27, 2019 at 12:21 AM

1. Joshc

Joshc
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2018
    Loc:
    Washington
    I have an old orley stove for my shop and wondering about wall clearances. I've read a lot of conflicting points but what I keep reading is that with 24 gauge sheet metal with a 1" buffer the minimum clearance is 12". Is this true? I will be putting it into a corner of the shop.

2. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    With a proper NFPA wall shield the clearance is dropped from 36" to 12". The shield must be on 1" non-combustible spacers and 1" off the ground, open at the top and bottom so that air can freely flow behind it.
    https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-stove-wall-clearances-primer.147785/

FYI, whoever sold the stove, broke the law. You cannot sell, exchange or give away uncertified wood stoves or solid fuel burning devices here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    What will the shop be used for?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Joshc

Joshc
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2018
    Loc:
    Washington
    Just a place to work on whatever I need and I usually have people over and play pool in it. It'll be used about 2 times a week

5. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    If there will be gasoline in the building by code you can't install a stove in it.

6. Joshc

Joshc
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2018
    Loc:
    Washington
    No gas

7. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Any vehicles?

8. Joshc

Joshc
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2018
    Loc:
    Washington
    No

9. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Ok then yes you can reduce clearances down to 12 with a ventilated heat shield as you described. But it still will not be a legal install in your state because it is an uncertified stove

10. gilsulate

gilsulate
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 1, 2019
    Loc:
    California
    But it still will not be a legal install in your state because it is an uncertified stove,