clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wizard1

Jan 4, 2024
Lowell, vt
I'm building a camp and putting an old wood cook stove in it.
Picked a corner, now im trying to figure out what to do behind it.
I've read lots of guidelines on what to do on meeting the clearances to combustible surfaces.
The only combustible surface will be the studs in the wall.
I can do, what ever is needed at this point.
I've contemplated resilient channel on the studs, then 1 or 2 layers of 1/2" cement board, then tile. ( probably slate or some natural stone )
Or maybe no channel, just put cement board on studs, with tile and add a 24g panel spaced 1" off from the tile to get an air gap.
*Then it covers up the stone.
I'm going to do, 3 layers of 1/2" cement board and slate on the floor.

I want to do what is right and not burn my place down, but i don't like the looks of hardie board spaced 1" off the wall behind the stove.

Here are some guidelines for an unlisted stove.
In addition to clearances and proper hearth insulation, the flue system should be equally safe.

an unlisted stove falls under (in Canada) CSA B365 you need 48 inches from the walls this can be reduced by 50 % using a metal heat shield floated off the wall one inch, with a one inch air gap at the bottom and a 3 inch at the top, if you use cement board instead of metal that's a 40% reduction you have to use the diagram by begreen please note these are the codes in Canada,

Here are some guidelines for an unlisted stove.
In addition to clearances and proper hearth insulation, the flue system should be equally safe.
So, if i'm reading it right.
I can do 1 layer of cement board, with covering (slate) plus a 24g piece of sheetmetal mounted to it, 1" off from the tile.
I can be 12" away from the wall?
From what i see, doesnt matter what you do, the best you can be is 12" away.
* I dont need to be that close
But going overboard and doing 3 1/2" of cement board only gets you 18".

Yes I understand the venting needs to be addressed, but right now i'm working on the wall and need to build the hearth area.

an unlisted stove falls under (in Canada) CSA B365 you need 48 inches from the walls this can be reduced by 50 % using a metal heat shield floated off the wall one inch, with a one inch air gap at the bottom and a 3 inch at the top, if you use cement board instead of metal that's a 40% reduction you have to use the diagram by begreen please note these are the codes in Canada,
I'm not in Canada >>
But i do know here for an unlisted stove, which this is (unlisted) it is 36"
And i can get to 12" with a sheet of 24g sheetmetal 1" off the wall. for your air gap.
I'm just looking to get the most protection, within reason, around the stove.
And meet the local code.
Essentially it looks like i could put wood behind it, with the 24g sheetmetal 1" off the wall or some Hardie board 1" off the wall and easily get 18" and possibly 12".

nd i can get to 12" with a sheet of 24g sheetmetal 1" off the wall. for your air gap.
Correct, or other non-combustible material like a sheet of cement board, or brick, as long as it is 1" or more off the wall and at least 1" off the floor and open at the top. That will drop the clearance down to 12" from the nearest combustible which in this case would be the wall behind the shield.

And then there’s the ability to change the wall itself behind the stud. Metal studs, cement board, blocks, etc. make it a non combustible wall.

Ok, I was going off of this.

“The only combustible surface will be the studs in the wall.“

Some cabins don’t have any insulation. I figured if you removed the combustible area of the wall, you could get the stove closer to it.