Clearance for single wall pipe??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lardos86

Nov 13, 2016
Georgia
I will be installing a jotul f100 soon and curious as to what the clearance is to combustibles if I'm using single wall pipe WITH a protected surface? Thank you for any help guys!

Single wall pipe has an 18" clearance to combustibles. Describe what is meant by a protected surface.

I was thinking the clearance would be reduced if i used a protected surface on the wall. (Sheet metal, tile, etc.)
if it is protected with a ventilated shield then yes it would reduce the clearance by 2/3rds which would mean 6" but if it is just tile on the wall you get no reduction

The only way to achieve a clearance reduction is to put shields on the pipe or an NFPA 211 wall shield on the full area behind the pipe. With shielding the clearance can be reduced to 9".
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000DZQR3Q/?tag=hearthamazon-20
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-stove-wall-clearances-primer.147785/
Often a better solution is to go with double-wall pipe which has 6" clearance and the added benefit of a long lasting stainless interior. Double-wall keeps the flue gases hotter for better draft and a cleaner pipe.

Last edited:
24 ga.

If you're going single-wall, I would get some decent pipe, not the snap-together farm-store stuff. It's a little pricier but the peace of mind might be worth it.

Reactions: Squisher
How many installers would recommend using single wall pipe - vs double. The difference is great, as well as the peace of mind?

How many installers would recommend using single wall pipe - vs double. The difference is great, as well as the peace of mind?
We use single wall on most installs unless it is a long run of pipe or there are clearance issues. Then we would go double wall.

Some short runs benefit from double-wall too, especially if the chimney is short or clearances too close.

Some short runs benefit from double-wall too, especially if the chimney is short or clearances too close.
Yeah we do a case by case evaluation but most times we dont see the need

Reactions: Woody Stover
I have 4' of single wall going on 10 years old. Is there a typical life span of single wall. Thanks in advance for any info. ps , didn't intend to steel the thread.

Depends on the gauge of the pipe, the wood burned, moisture exposure, the temps that the pipe has seen, etc.. Cheap, thin black pipe can be badly deteriorated after a few years. OTOH a good heavy gauge black pipe can be fine in 10-15 yrs given good conditions.

thanks begreen. haven't been on the site in awhile.

Good to see you back!

If you're going single-wall, I would get some decent pipe, not the snap-together farm-store stuff. It's a little pricier but the peace of mind might be worth it.

Can I ask what is wrong with snap lock pipe? I'm not trying to argue, simply trying to educate myself.
It's all I've ever used because it is readily available locally. I wouldn't even know where to get "good" pipe lol I'm going on 4 years with snap lock on two different stoves.

Can I ask what is wrong with snap lock pipe?
I used it for years as well. Never had a problem, other than it rusting through but that was my fault for burning wet wood. Now, I feel more comfortable using butt-welded pipe, where there's virtually no chance of it ever coming apart. It's also heavier gauge as a rule. Right now I'm venting into my fireplace chimney with a stainless tee connected to a heavy-duty stainless flex liner....and I've got dry wood! >>

Reactions: 2broke2ride
Status
Not open for further replies.