Clearance from Duravent pellet flex liner to combustables?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Val

Mar 17, 2012
NY
Could anyone tell me what the required clearance is from Duravent SS pellet flex chimney liner (3" diameter) to combustable surface? Isn't double wall pellet vent pipe clearance 1" to combustable wall? Duravent though-wall thimbles have a 7" diameter circle to provide for this.
This is why I am asking:
I am finally running 3" diameter Duravent SS liner through my 7" square (tile-lined) brick chimney. However, the brick chimney is located behind drywall and paneling. When the double wall vent pipe makes the transition to single wall duraflex though the hole in the side of the chimney, it is also passing though a hole cut in the drywall and paneling. I have the hole in the drywall/paneling set at 7" in diameter, the same as found in a Duravent thimble. But I do not know if there could be a potential hot spot between the wall and the chimney when the double wall pipe joins the duraflex using a "double wall to flex" Duravent connector. Although I am trying to keep the single wall liner within the chimney itself, the Duravent connector will need safe clearance to the drywall/ paneling as it unites the different pipes.

No combustible is to be touching a brick chimney. The chimney has to have a 1" clearance to combustibles and dry wall is a combustible. Dura Flex can not be used outside a brick chimney. Use P or L vent until you go into the chimney.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.