Clearance ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tompaint

Jul 14, 2022
Bc, Canada
So my new to me cabin has a blaze king princess pej1003. Pretty cool unit. Can’t wait to get it going. I’m trying to pass a WETT inspection. The main problem is that there are log ends 4” away from the back of the fireplace. The actual wall is 9” which is okay. So if the rule is 67% reduction in allowable space if there is 24 gauge steel 7/8 “ away from combustible wall ( log ends), I should just be able to throw a plate over the log ends. The question becomes how wide past the width of the logs? And where do I fasten it?
The actual stove pipe is an older 1/2 shield. It is 11” away from log ends. I’m assuming this is okay because of the 1/2 double wall. (?)

Glad to be a part of this fire making community.
Tom
805E9538-907C-453E-A20F-E4C2113007E0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So my new to me cabin has a blaze king princess pej1003. Pretty cool unit. Can’t wait to get it going. I’m trying to pass a WETT inspection. The main problem is that there are log ends 4” away from the back of the fireplace. The actual wall is 9” which is okay. So if the rule is 67% reduction in allowable space if there is 24 gauge steel 7/8 “ away from combustible wall ( log ends), I should just be able to throw a plate over the log ends. The question becomes how wide past the width of the logs? And where do I fasten it?
The actual stove pipe is an older 1/2 shield. It is 11” away from log ends. I’m assuming this is okay because of the 1/2 double wall. (?)

Glad to be a part of this fire making community.
Tom
View attachment 297036
No further reduction is allowed you need to move the stove out.

Wow, that's close.
Get yourself two 30 (or 45) degree offset pieces for the stove pipe and move the stove forward.

Do you have ember shield far enough out in front of the stove?

No further reduction is allowed you need to move the stove out.
Thank you for your response, I was hoping maybe you could help clarify where my error in thinking is. Is it a local things, or am I just misinterpreting?
The manual state 9" clearance for stove. 16" for single wall pipe.
It also says further reduction is allowed if I add side shields kit to my stove with my fan kit, those reduce to 6" and 13"
Attached photo is what I am basing the heat sheild 67% from.

wall shield.png

Thank you for your response, I was hoping maybe you could help clarify where my error in thinking is. Is it a local things, or am I just misinterpreting?
The manual state 9" clearance for stove. 16" for single wall pipe.
It also says further reduction is allowed if I add side shields kit to my stove with my fan kit, those reduce to 6" and 13"
Attached photo is what I am basing the heat sheild 67% from.View attachment 297038
Is that from the blaze king manual? I looked up the manual and couldn't find that page in it

no, that heat shield page was sent from a local inspector.
You need to to go by the listed clearances in the bk manual. And clearance reductions are only allowed if the manual says so.

To the OP: It is my understanding (...) that the 2/3 reduction "rule" holds for unlisted stoves (that, b/c of their unlisted nature, need to be 3 ft (?) away from combustibles). Add a proper shield, and one can decrease clearances.

This does not apply to stoves that have been tested, and for which the parameters/requirements are written in the manual.

Reactions: Highbeam
This does not apply to stoves that have been tested, and for which the parameters/requirements are written in the manual.
Unfortunately, this gets confused due to poor documentation. Some manuals imply the clearance can be reduced to below the 66% reduction of 36" to 12" even though that stove's clearance starts out at 12". A good manual lists the tested reduction with an NFPA 211 shielding system installed.

Reactions: stoveliker
Dear OP. The manuals were done on typewriters and drafting tables back when your stove was made. Attached are better documents to reference. Your Princess 1003 is equipped with fans. The fans count as real shields. If in fact your chimney is a roof exit, your close clearance to combustible surface is to be 6" or more. No further reductions are possible. Your image suggests the stove is way to close to the combustible materials to the rear.

As Stoveliker suggests, you need to get some elbows.

Attachments

• Close Clearance.pdf
    107.8 KB · Views: 76
You may wish to post images of the entire stove and chimney system. Anyone that set the stove that close to the wall, may have not read the manual!