clearance issues, I need help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric D.

Nov 27, 2012
Ohio
Today I ran my flex pipe down my old chimney, got it through the old damper, lugged my insert inside, got it on the hearth, pushed it back into the hole, hooked it up. Then the disappointment.

I quickly noticed that I would not be able to pull the insert out enough to fit the surround on and then smush it against the brick. My flex liner hits the top inside of the fireplace opening when i move the stove out. The old fireplace is like a metal lined box and the metal runs along the top of the opening which I assume acts like a header and bricks sit on that.

Any Ideas?
I was thinking of an offset adaptor, but I need something that will offset from front to back not side to side.

I realize this is probably a terrible explanation, but I cant think of how to explain it.

I understand perfectly. With the liner hooked up the stove is too far back into the fireplace. Yep this happens a fair amount. You need what is called an "offset box". This will give ability to slide the stove forward about 6". They are adjustable so anywhere from 0"-6" you should be good with the offset box.

I was on your site looking at that http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/61/product/6-inch-Adjustable-Offset-Insert-Adaptor.html
Im not sure if it is going to work ad I need it to. There is only about 2 5/8 inches between the top of the stove and the top of the fireplace opening and the opening in the stove has about 1/2 an inch of its opening under the fireplace opening.
also wont the piece that slides end up out in the family room?
Obviously I am just speculating from the picture on the website and have no knowledge of the product. Thanks again. This was the best picture i could manage to try to make sense of things.
2012-12-17_19-45-11_205.jpg

Well the standard box is 3" high. It looks like the only thing you could do there is have a smaller box made to your specs. It is possible. And that slide that you see will need to be cut off so it isn't sticking out.

Don't know about the part that slides being in the family room but.....You can do your connection from inside the firebox. Take tubes out and set everything up and connect from inside. Yours looks like it will need to be nut and bolt throught what ever you will use to hold the offset into the collar cause there is no collar. I was planning to do this to mine, no offset though, because I thought my inert would be too tall.

Those are very nifty and have not heard how well they work. If they work well I would buy one.

I'd opt for an elbow before an offset box. That box is going to hamper draft more than an elbow, and cleaning is not going to be as easier either.

Do the offset boxes leak....it looks as if it does. But if they are sound I could use this!

Sorry for hijacking!

Status
Not open for further replies.