clearance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

St_Earl

Minister of Fire
Sep 9, 2011
millinocket, maine
just had a neighbor come over after finding me on the forum.
she's getting a pellet stove and had a bunch of questions.

the local stove shop was ready to do an install that is not in the 4 foot from window and 2 foot above rule.

but this got us thinking about the two foot above the window rule.
what do people who have direct vent set ups do?
no way they are two feet above the tops of windows.

is there some distance from windows that the two foot rule doesn't need to be observed?

she's not going to do a direct vent because the floorboard radiators are in the way as it is and she isn't going to remove them.

but i'm going over there to look at the options and would love to know about this.

I
just had a neighbor come over after finding me on the forum.
she's getting a pellet stove and had a bunch of questions.

the local stove shop was ready to do an install that is not in the 4 foot from window and 2 foot above rule.

but this got us thinking about the two foot above the window rule.
what do people who have direct vent set ups do?
no way they are two feet above the tops of windows.

is there some distance from windows that the two foot rule doesn't need to be observed?

she's not going to do a direct vent because the floorboard radiators are in the way as it is and she isn't going to remove them.

but i'm going over there to look at the options and would love to know about this.
My install is similar, above baseboard heat, between 2 windows, and not 4 feet. It is about 3 feet from windows, & has been like that for 9 years w/no problems.

If the windows don't open, then it doesn't matter. So there are ways around the rule...

As for this install??

I
My install is similar, above baseboard heat, between 2 windows, and not 4 feet. It is about 3 feet from windows, & has been like that for 9 years w/no problems.

All Englanders need 3ft of rise? Is your rise outside? Or is it just direct vent?

If the windows don't open, then it doesn't matter. So there are ways around the rule...

As for this install??

All Englanders need 3ft of rise? Is your rise outside? Or is it just direct vent?
I do have a 3 foot rise inside, a 90, then straight out.

it sounds like the options are limited at our neighbor's place.
i managed to luck out with our house and just managed the 4 foot 2 foot clearances and still have the stove in my choice of locations without having to run up through the roof.

i'm actually going to check with the fire dept. here and see if i can find the exact legal requirements for our town so our neighbors can satisfy the terms of their homeowner insurance carrier.

i have to say i'm a little disheartened with the somewhat casual attitude that this company doing the install takes towards these details.
from what i hear, they plan a direct vent right near the front door.

i'm sure there will be some solution the fits the regulations.
just hoping to do it without an excessive amount of pipe.

Last edited:
as a UL listed stove (apologies, but I cannot find the stove make or model anywhere in this post), the manufacturer sets all clearances for ventilation and combustibles......there are no hard and fast rules governing ALL pellet alliances other than what might be listed specifically in NFPA211 and your local building code, BUT, the owners' manual of a UL listed product in fact trumps both of those codes.....you just have to convince to local inspector of this ( ;) )

but, maybe I am missing something in NFPA211, so, I'm respectfully asking what section and paragraph the "4 and 2" rule is?

Reactions: St_Earl
as a UL listed stove (apologies, but I cannot find the stove make or model anywhere in this post), the manufacturer sets all clearances for ventilation and combustibles......there are no hard and fast rules governing ALL pellet alliances other than what might be listed specifically in NFPA211 and your local building code, BUT, the owners' manual of a UL listed product in fact trumps both of those codes.....you just have to convince to local inspector of this ( ;) )

but, maybe I am missing something in NFPA211, so, I'm respectfully asking what section and paragraph the "4 and 2" rule is?

thank you for the reply.
this is the conclusion i have been coming to as well as i search.

i'm not positive the heatilator manual has those numbers in the manual. but i'll look through my manual (my neighbors are getting the cab50 and i have the PS50),NFPA211 and possibly call my dealer and see what i can get from them.

Last edited:
ok. i'm actually seeing the window/door clearance figures for termination on page 30 of my hardcopy manual.

not less than 48 inches below
not less than 48 inches horizontally from
not less than 12 inches above

what is unclear is if that means it must be 48 inches away horizontally and also 12 inches above.
*actually maybe not so unclear after all

but in any case, my neighbor agrees she wants the horizontal rise instead of direct vent.
we can surely get the 48 inch clearance and then the 12 inch above number will just fall into place.

*doh! my morning math is awful. 48 inches is 4 feet.
oh well. just have to find the right placement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lousyweather
Status
Not open for further replies.