Clearance to combustibles inside framed chase - help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Karjudd

May 13, 2020
Portland Oregon
Well I didn’t get any hits on my first post so hoping someone can help me out on this issue.

We have poured a new footing and framed in chase which is wider at the bottom with a narrower up through the roof. See Pic - outside chase. This is basically what our old masonry chimney looked like before it was torn down (was going to be a full rebuild). We wanted to avoid the “elevator shaft” look on our small house and plan to clad it in cultured stone.

I am confused on clearance requirements from the top of the fireplace on the inside of the chase. All manuals for gas fireplaces list the dimensions to the ceiling which I interpret as in front of the fireplace. Some note the distance to the ceiling of the enclosure but most of them are ambivalent. I know you cannot put anything below the standoffs. Because of the way my chase is constructed we have two beams supporting the upper portion (narrower part) of the chase which sit above the unit which are at the same level as the rough opening height (header). See pic - inside chase. You can also see the plumb bob for help determining my vent placement and clearances.

Even the building inspector I chatted with agreed that some models don’t really make it clear and that if there was no minimum dimension for framed enclosure ceiling height specifically he would go off dimensions to combustibles (rough opening height). I’m good on all my other clearance dimensions. The 2 clearance pics are from Regency P33CE install manual. Clearance 1 pic outlines dimension "C" clearance to ceiling from top of unit to ceiling as 30 inches. Clearance 2 pic shows dimension "M" shows framed chase ceiling as 36" for rigid vent pipe or 32" for flex pipe measured from base of unit.

Have any of you dealt with this kind of installation before? I'm sure I'm over thinking this but the ceiling height to me means in the room in front of fireplace and enclosure ceiling height to me means inside the chase. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Karen

Attachments

• Outside chase.JPG
    Outside chase.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 176
  • inside chase.JPG
    inside chase.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Clearance 1.pdf
    114.9 KB · Views: 194
  • Clearance 2.pdf
    144.5 KB · Views: 164
Look at the rating plate in the manual. Page 5 in the on-line version.
I assume you are venting vertically thru the chase.
Build an insulated deck 3-1/2" above the stand offs.
Metal 2x4 band with 1/2' concrete board on top of the band, with faced insulation (Paper down) on top of the concrete board.
Use a pair of 2x4 metal cross members on either side of the vent for center support under the board
Use a ceiling firestop in the center of the deck & bring the insulation to the edge of the firestop.
After the venting is installed thru the firestop, seal any gaps with aluminum tape or stove gasket.

1589930973494.png

Dansky,
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question. Yes, venting vertically thru the chase. I did reference the online manual and the Clearance 1 pdf is what is reflected on page 16 on installation clearances and mimics what is on the rating plate. The clearance 2 pdf is what is on page 19 of the manual regarding minimum framing dimensions and my question regarding the "M" dimension (base of unit to ceiling of enclosure) or in my case the bottom of the 2 supporting beams. Measured from the bottom of the unit to a ceiling enclosure requires 36" and I have 39" to the bottom of those 2 beams you see in pic 2 so thats where my confusion lies because it seems like I'm okay as is.

We will be insulating and sheet rocking the entire chase. I sorta understood what you meant about an insulated deck. See my draw up and see if I'm on the right track. Of course I don't want to make more work for ourselves if we don't need too.

thanks!

Attachments

• Insulated deck.pdf
    83.5 KB · Views: 152
Not sure you drew it correctly. The concrete board deck should
be supported by the steel 2x4 Band, with the firestop resting on
& inserted into the deck. The firestop should be in this position ,
With the "lip" on top...

Attachments

• ceiling-firestop.jpg
    ceiling-firestop.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 176
Got it, thanks. Still wondering if I need to do this as it appears my clearances are okay, just looking for confirmation.

We are still trying to decide on this fireplace or the Xtrordinair 564 (similar heating capacity and price) and trying to research how to replace a blower if need on the 564 if you tile over the bottom access panel? If that is tiled and blower needs to be replaced at some point do you access it from under the log set?