Clearance to Combustibles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
I am going to install a Jotul Oslo in a log cabin. This cabin will have big exposed rafters, pine 4x8s.
The single wall pipe will run straight up vertically from the stove, and right through the ceiling.

How far does that single wall pipe need to be from the rafter?

first off you cant run single wall through the ceiling and it needs to be 18" from any combustibles

I'm pretty sure it has no ceiling. Its cathedral with exposed timber framed rafters. The answer is 18" from the beam.

sorry webby he says right through the ceiling i took that to mean he was going through a ceiling

I did too. As long as he understands that he has to transition to the chimney at the ceiling all is good. If he converted to double wall pipe he could go closer than the 18". I think Selkirk double wall has a 6 or 8" clearance.

On a side note I like reading the manufactures of stoves clearance to combustibles and then look at the wooden and plastic knobs/handles they put on the stove a couple inches off:rolleyes: I guess if they start to char I better back things down.....

Thanks for the info. Of course I will use a ceiling pass through kit to go through the ceiling.

It sounds like you'll need a cathedral ceiling support box assuming that there's nothing between the stove and the roof exit. How tall will this pipe be? Most stove mtgs. recommend using double-wall pipe if the stovepipe run is greater than 8-10'.

Yes it will be a cathedral ceiling. The big 4x8 rafters will be decked with 2x6. From below, you will see the rafters and the 2x6s, there will be insulation above that, then a steel roof. I wlll attach the ceiling pass through kit right to those 2x6 so, yes, a cathedral ceiling support box sounds good.
That vertical run of pipe will be 11 or 12 feet. So, you are saying that this exceeds spec for single wall pipe? Is this because the longer pipe gets too cool and will condense creosote?
So, I would need a double wall pipe?

Thanks for all the great info, this is why I come onto this forum.

11-12 ft is not terrible, but yes it's because the longer run of pipe robs too much heat from the flue, increasing the potential for creosote condensation. This is particularly a concern with a cat stove running on a low burn. Those flue gases are already relatively cool coming out of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.