Clearances with Insert Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks, yes I think I am aware I made a mistake. Would you care to drag me over the coals more are you done exercising your right to "told you so" ?

If I had known the fireplace was a zero clearance and the hearth was made of wood, It would have made a big difference. But there is no way to know that until it was ripped out.... and it was winter and I was not about to rip out my fireplace when it was 20 degrees outside.
I am not trying to drag you over the coals at all. I am sorry if it came off that way. I really wish I had the opportunity to tell you these things ahead of time. Or that your dealer had taken the time to educate you and make sure you were buying the right thing.

There is always an id tag visible when installed on prefab fireplaces it is required.

Last edited:
Went through this back in 2014. We had a ZC fireplace in the house, wanted to install a wood stove. Nothing was compatible.

Didn't care, we decided to do it right, damn the $$$.

Before:

HBjkktn.jpg

During:

qWIAw0F.jpg

J4M5p5c.jpg

After:

O0VuaVG.jpg

qyYh1t9.jpg

Sorry for the bad news, but I think the pro's here have already given most of it.

Reactions: kennyp2339
Wow, thanks for the photos! That looks great. Yeah I've been considering what it would take to do a major renovation... I just rebuilding the lower hearth using a cast concrete footing and cmu block up to the critical height, but it looks like you just demo'ed the existing wood walls to the alcove size then clad them in pretty thick cement board? Did you have to upgrade or run a liner through your existing chimney?

Also considering a zero clearance insert such as a Pacific energy fp25, they exist now and may be more reasonable than a major renovation.

Thanks again!

Wow, thanks for the photos! That looks great. Yeah I've been considering what it would take to do a major renovation... I just rebuilding the lower hearth using a cast concrete footing and cmu block up to the critical height, but it looks like you just demo'ed the existing wood walls to the alcove size then clad them in pretty thick cement board? Did you have to upgrade or run a liner through your existing chimney?

Also considering a zero clearance insert such as a Pacific energy fp25, they exist now and may be more reasonable than a major renovation.

Thanks again!
Once you remove the existing prefab fireplace the chimney that went with it is unusable unless the new unit specified that chimney. A liner is not an option

Once you remove the existing prefab fireplace the chimney that went with it is unusable unless the new unit specified that chimney. A liner is not an option
Sorry, bholler, I didn't realize that you built my house and installed the chimney, so you must know exactly what I have. I can't figure out how else you would know everything about what I need to do moving forward. Did you even read the entire last post where I explained to the last poster what my plans were? Obvs not. If you choose not to read the posts, please refrain from sharing your opinion on this thread. Where everyone else has been helpful and kind, every one of your posts has been rude and uninformed. And you represent hearth.com staff? That's very disappointing.

Sorry, bholler, I didn't realize that you built my house and installed the chimney, so you must know exactly what I have. I can't figure out how else you would know everything about what I need to do moving forward. Did you even read the entire last post where I explained to the last poster what my plans were? Obvs not. If you choose not to read the posts, please refrain from sharing your opinion on this thread. Where everyone else has been helpful and kind, every one of your posts has been rude and uninformed. And you represent hearth.com staff? That's very disappointing.
Yes I read the entire post. And I am sorry if it upsets you but I am giving you accurate information. I looked up the manual for your fireplace. There I saw the chimney that was specified for that unit and it can not be used for anything once the majestic fireplace is removed.

I am in no way trying to offend you. I am just trying to make sure you end up with a safe install.

Please take this with a grain of salt, but @bholler knows the business well, and while sometimes his posts come of rough, he's only looking for safety and least cost, his advice in not meant to make someone run around buying needless things nor put anyone in danger from an unsafe setup.
To the chimney itself, you more then likely have an air cooled chimney not rated for class a solid fuel appliances, so the chimney is only rated for 1500deg f not the 2100deg f continuous burn chimney's, its also more then likely supported by the actual zero clearance stove which means once the stove is removed there is nothing to hold the chimney up or mate it properly to another device.