Clinker build up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Clint_coon

Dec 21, 2015
Lyons ny
good evening everyone; I have a 4 year old timber wolf pellet stove that seems to be running kinda lazy incomplete. At least two or three times a day I have to shut down and empty the pot because there’s a clinker in it and the glass is blacked out. The pot doesn’t actually over flow. I have pictures of the brand I’m burning the glass and what the pot looks like after shut down. I vacuum every 3-4 days and cleaned the vent well before the first fire. Auger speed is on low and I don’t know what th blower is because it’s a set screw.

Attachments

• A35A1081-60EB-4C8A-B050-C1D8879C0054.jpeg
    A35A1081-60EB-4C8A-B050-C1D8879C0054.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 278
  • 55A18945-8A85-4D9D-9FDC-9805418CE37E.jpeg
    55A18945-8A85-4D9D-9FDC-9805418CE37E.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 233
  • F23ECCC5-2538-4648-8CB2-46F62460D62B.jpeg
    F23ECCC5-2538-4648-8CB2-46F62460D62B.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 265
  • E370CFF2-BD72-4086-8B17-07CC0D4A4ED6.jpeg
    E370CFF2-BD72-4086-8B17-07CC0D4A4ED6.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 237
Thats a pretty big fire! Have you cleaned the inside of the stove? How is it vented? Dry creek around my area are one of the worst brands I’ve had, more sand/silica, thats what causes clinkers. Give your stove a good cleaning and try some other pellets.

Thats a pretty big fire! Have you cleaned the inside of the stove? How is it vented? Dry creek around my area are one of the worst brands I’ve had, more sand/silica, thats what causes clinkers. Give you stove a good cleaning and try some other pellets.

It’s vented straight out of the wall. I had this problem with New England brand as well. Tomorrow is one of the normal cleaning days for it so I will vacuum everything out and try to clean around the blower and stuff again maybe there’s some dog hair in there blocking air flow it was running fine at the beginning of the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dial your feed rate down just a bit and that may help with the flame and clinkers. I see your in lyons so your getting the same dry creek i got (thank god i only got 6 bags) im in Lorraine ny.

Dial your feed rate down just a bit and that may help with the flame and clinkers. I see your in lyons so your getting the same dry creek i got (thank god i only got 6 bags) im in Lorraine ny.

Feed rate is on low I could try to dial the blower trim back if that’s what you’re referring too

It needs more air then. Your pic shows black soot on the glass thats a byproduct of a slow lazy fire. You want that fire to be busy and a nice yellow and orange. Not a blow torch

I do not know your stove,but,as it is old technology,without auger to clean the pot,and may have angled passageways,I suspect the stove is internally dirty,where you cannot see it.Research "leafblower trick".Astroflamm integras would do exactly the same thing,because people did not clean the back passageway.You might want to search youtube for a cleaning video.

It needs more air then. Your pic shows black soot on the glass thats a byproduct of a slow lazy fire. You want that fire to be busy and a nice yellow and orange. Not a blow torch

Ok fair enough, how do I get more air flow? My stove has a feed rate adjustment and a blower trim set screw on the control board. The flame is like that on the high setting

I do not know your stove,but,as it is old technology,without auger to clean the pot,and may have angled passageways,I suspect the stove is internally dirty,where you cannot see it.Research "leafblower trick".Astroflamm integras would do exactly the same thing,because people did not clean the back passageway.You might want to search youtube for a cleaning video.

Thanks bob I was thinking dust/ash/soot or dog hair was back there plugging things up but it’s too damn cold at the moment to take the stove out to do that type of cleaning so I will probably just try to get what I can with a vacuum

This the stove on a low blower setting
2d8a97eacf219cd2bbeb2fc7c81778f4.jpg

Is your stove the tps35?”

Here is your manual https://napoleonproducts.com/downloads/fireplaces/manuals/W415-1477.pdf
See page 31. The trim pots your adjusting are to set the stove up for vent and elevations. See the warning at the end of that page

Thanks I dialed the blower trim down and while I had the panel off I cleaned as much as I could get with a brush and shop vac. I do plan either find a leaf blower or take the stove off the wall and blow the blowers out with the compressor when the temperature gets warmer