Clinkers, clinkers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it costs more but have you tried a softwood or at least a blend pellet?

Edit: I forgot - you switched to your old brand...

his revisit of the 'polar vortex', where no doubt your stove will get a work out as all of ours in the East will this week as well. I hear ya on the hash tag....... we've all been there. But it's nice when a stove problem is an easy fix!!! Stay warm up there - my bro is a "Yooper" as well who went to college and still lives in Marquette, after our family grew up spending summers at a cottage near Iron Mountain. Beautiful part of the country fer sure!!!

More than likely the Pellets. In my thread I described the same problem. I have been dealing with it for years. I finally bought 6 bags of Hamers Hot Ones and they burned PERFECTLY. So I quickly went out and bought a ton. Well guess what? When we started burning them the color of the pellet was COMPETITIVELY different. The old ones were darker in color, these were lighter and almost had a reddish color - (like seasoned oak) Well guess what? These do not burn as nicely as the other Hamers (from the same store mind you) and are beginning to clinker up but not as bad as the other brand pellets.

My conclusion. Plain and simple: Pellets. I think they all pretty much suck anymore. They will just manufacture with what they have on hand and this is what we get. Hamers are "Ultra Premium" too.

Don't get me wrong though, so far these are burning better then all of the others that I have tried and that includes many, many brands including Hamer's Tractor supply brand Hardwood Heat (which clinkered up real bad) but they are not burning like the first 6 bags we bought as a test.

But with it as cold is it is outside, I will deal with it for now since I don't want to tear my stove apart again since I am certain that the pellets are the issue now.

Yeah I here ya. I have burned just about everything I can get my hands on locally and that isn't much. Some ashier than others but I have had no problems with the pellets I've tried until now.... Somersets are my pellet of choice and by far the best I can get around these parts...

Are the clinkers, hard, or are they soft piles of ash? How are the holes in the bottom of your fire pot?

I can break them up by hand but they are solid. and the holes are open and clean.... I am 100 percent certain it's the pellet. Either a terrible product or just not a good fit for my stove. They sell a lot of these pellets at the TS store so either other people have better luck, or they just don't know a good burning pellet from a bad burning one i.e, they think those big chunks produced in their stoves are just typical with pellet stoves:eek:

Reactions: chken
I can break them up by hand but they are solid. and the holes are open and clean.... I am 100 percent certain it's the pellet. Either a terrible product or just not a good fit for my stove. They sell a lot of these pellets at the TS store so either other people have better luck, or they just don't know a good burning pellet from a bad burning one i.e, they think those big chunks produced in their stoves are just typical with pellet stoves:eek:
They should just advertise an ash brownie with every bag!

I get huge clinker in the front of burnpot burning FSU, every few days have to let stove die down and use my ash tool to remove it, only get them with FSU softie's

8 bags left, gonna mix those with some somersets and then no more problems.... Ash levels are considerably higher also. I would say, 3 times higher, if thats even possible. My ash pan was completely full after only 17 bags. Sent them an E mail but obviously I haven't heard back.... Big suprise there.

Last edited:
Lots of air flow is the key to stop these clinkers from forming so big so fast.

Make sure the complete path is cleared out. the exhaust pipe, follow it back through the blower, follow it back through the flue passages in the stove, follow it back to the actual burning area. Even burning good stuff, after about 50 bags, I get clinkers like this... it's my tell-tale sign that I need to get the wrenches out and do a full clean out.

Spend a couple hours with it. I don't have a leaf blower (vac option as I have a blower backpack) so I use my garage compressor with a air nozzle attachment to blow out some ash in the nooks and crannies.

Status
Not open for further replies.