Closing the Wood Pellet Gap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

j00fek

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jun 9, 2008
Auburn, Maine
"In Europe, wood pellets are used as fuel for utility, commercial and residential applications to produce electricity and heat, but in the U.S. pellets have largely been relegated to the residential markets. Effective policy drivers and a different mindset exist in Europe, while in the U.S. it’s hard to compete with cheap coal."

http://www.biomassmagazine.com/article.jsp?article_id=2408

But when Europe is paying the same for pellets in the USA as we are and then add in shipping on top of that. The pellet mills will not take a hit on the price of pellets to ship them overseas. Cheap Oil, Cheap LP, and Cheap NG here in the USA right now says alot.

Eric

I'm guessing that in Europe pellets are more viable because their heating oils are probably taxed as heavily as diesel and gasoline......... to pay for entitlements such as goverment funded health care and such.

yes, cheap fossil fuels will keep pellets relegated to the residential markets.

56 chevtruck said:
not sure if true but i heard $10 a bag in europe?

I am not sure either but what would shipping cost across the Atlantic Ocean?

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.