clothes dryer air: Can I somehow reuse this warm air (heat recovery)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
elkimmeg said:
I aways thought there was a reason a garage required 1 hour fire protection to the adjoining living space. Putting a 4' vent in there Is not a good idea plus again not code compliant

Is that true ? I thought it was against code only if you didn't maintain the fire rating when you vented. Are you code if you used a metal duct of appropriate thickness/fire resistance rating ?

Code requires the dryer exhaust to exit the envelope of the building that means out side not in a garage.. That dryer exhaust flapper works ok the first week, then lint gets in there holds the flapper open, bye bye your one hour fire protection. Yes I am a code official National certified

Mo Dryer exhanust must exit the building retrofitting it into your HVAC system is a great way to start mold amd mildew in your duct work. Not a good idea Add dryer exhaust should be hard piped What you guys want to add to the satistics 15,600 Dryer fires in USA is not enough? you want more 15 deaths 400 injured? You want to join that list?

elkimmeg said:
Mo Dryer exhanust must exit the building retrofitting it into your HVAC system is a great way to start mold amd mildew in your duct work.

I wonder if I can get sued in Missouri for something I did in California? :gulp:

If that's true, perhaps the dryer is the least of your worries. :)

elkimmeg said:
Code requires the dryer exhaust to exit the envelope of the building that means out side not in a garage.. That dryer exhaust flapper works ok the first week, then lint gets in there holds the flapper open, bye bye your one hour fire protection. Yes I am a code official National certified

Mo Dryer exhanust must exit the building retrofitting it into your HVAC system is a great way to start mold amd mildew in your duct work. Not a good idea Add dryer exhaust should be hard piped What you guys want to add to the satistics 15,600 Dryer fires in USA is not enough? you want more 15 deaths 400 injured? You want to join that list?

Whoa, hold on there tiger. I don't want to die/become a statistic nor do I think anyone else here does.

Thanks for your insight on code compliance.

There are more dryer fires than wood stoves incidents. I just wanted to point the magantude of a seemingly harmless appliance.
nothing personal but did get you attention. When is the last time your dryer vent was cleaned out? Taking that thought a step further, removing the back and removing all the lint?

Not will you be saving energy, but increasing the chances mishaps do not occure in your home. Lint is very combustiable. thats why hard pipe is superior for the application nom corrugated ribbing for lint to attach to, there for more of it exits the building... the down side is it requires more work and is more differcult to install. I believe the energy saved and s saftey margine to be worth every extra penny

Status
Not open for further replies.