Clunking noise in pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PONDLADY

Jan 30, 2016
Newfield, NY
Hi All,
I'm looking for some advice hopefully. I have recently bought a new home. I have a pellet stove in my basement. It is made by Travis Industries. Model AGP-PS manufactured 2012. Last weekend I emptied ashes and cleaned air vents etc. When I started the stove back up it now has a clunking noise. Upon looking in the back of the stove I did find a couple rubber grommets. One was intact and the other 2 were in pieces. I also noticed some black grease where it looked like it had dripped from something. Any ideas of what the issue may be? Is it an expensive repair?

Hi Pondlady- Prob not an operational issue- the rubber grommets probably went over the two pieces that hold the auger motor from spinning in place, when the auger motor comes into metal contact, it'll make a clunk. A number of stove companies use the grommets as noise dampeners for the auger motor shifting about. Long term effect is prob minimal, just a noise issue.

Long term effect of your auger motor hitting a metal stop is not minimal. Check your auger motor completely for a hole in the gear case. This following picture is a result of my auger motor coming in contact with metal (and causing a clunk). The grease drips out of the hole in the gearcase. The hole was not visible without removing the auger motor.

auger.JPG

Thank you for your response. This noise is a very loud clunking noise that happens every minute or so. It seems to be when the auger is turning to feed the pellets. I haven't been running the stove for fear of damaging something else. I've been researching on Internet trying to find out what the problem may be.
Hi Pondlady- Prob not an operational issue- the rubber grommets probably went over the two pieces that hold the auger motor from spinning in place, when the auger motor comes into metal contact, it'll make a clunk. A number of stove companies use the grommets as noise dampeners for the auger motor shifting about. Long term effect is prob minimal, just a noise issue.

Long term effect of your auger motor hitting a metal stop is not minimal. Check your auger motor completely for a hole in the gear case. This following picture is a result of my auger motor coming in contact with metal (and causing a clunk). The grease drips out of the hole in the gearcase. The hole was not visible without removing the auger motor.

View attachment 173624
Thank you I will check this out.

Hey Dr- wow never saw that, I stand corrected. On stoves I've serviced, never saw that, that doesn't look like a clunking sound, more like a hammer....