Clydesdale insert question - prefab chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fedtime

Feeling the Heat
Sep 13, 2009
Down East Canada
Hi folks - I'm building a new house and moving away from wood pellets by installing wood stoves.

My installer is trying to steer me clear of installing a Clydesdale in what the manual calls a "factory-built fireplace" and "prefabricated metal chimney". Instead, he is strongly suggesting a zero clearance fireplace - he says they are safer and easier to install.

Why? Isn't this just a zero clearance box and chimney for a fireplace insert, ULC listed and safe?

There aren't many installers in my area, so it is tough to shop around. Thanks for any help you can offer!

what does the manual for your fireplace say? What about the manual for the insert?
Hi folks - I'm building a new house and moving away from wood pellets by installing wood stoves.

My installer is trying to steer me clear of installing a Clydesdale in what the manual calls a "factory-built fireplace" and "prefabricated metal chimney". Instead, he is strongly suggesting a zero clearance fireplace - he says they are safer and easier to install.

Why? Isn't this just a zero clearance box and chimney for a fireplace insert, ULC listed and safe?

There aren't many installers in my area, so it is tough to shop around. Thanks for any help you can offer!

It's a little surprising that the very heavy Clydesdale is permitted to be installed in a prefab. 550 lbs. is a lot of weight to support. As noted though, the fireplace manual is the final guide. Most do not permit alteration or the addition of anything not made by the manufacturer for the fireplace. Definitely check the manual.