Coal fire maintenance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marty, all due respect, don't you have a masonary heater?

If I didn't play with the coal fire every few days, it would go out. I don't poke at it for no good reason and to be honest, I've never smothered or put out a fire because i was poking it. I have though, watched other people slowly put fires out over the course of a week because they would only shake the grates and were afraid to do anything else.

I guess I still got to try nut coal at least once. I am a little reserved about it though. In my set up (with no pipe damper), with the pea, the damper provides a full usable range. When I load, I never open the ash door - control all the way open to the right. When I burn it slow, I can go all the way to the left if I wanted. Never anything stuck in the grates. I also have no problem getting the family room in which the stove resides above 110degF if I wanted.

mrmahoney i assume this dampner your talking about is the air intake control?? If so that's normal and how it works. I had an old efel with the same type of air intake dampner if u sit there and watch it you will notice that it opens and closes all the time. It's there to regulate the fire to maintain a constant and even temp

Status
Not open for further replies.