Coal-fired pizza and wings in the WFO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
Started a hard maple fire with a 1/4 Supercedar to get a coal bed established.

IMG_3747.JPG

Tossed on a few large handfuls of anthracite coal for extra heat. Like it really needed it. Once the coal was glowing red, I put maple splits to darken the top crust. Pushed in the angle iron and she was ready.

IMG_3773.JPG

Cheese pizza.

IMG_3776.JPGIMG_3783.JPG

Pepperoni

IMG_3788.JPGIMG_3789.JPG

The honey barbeque wings went in and I bricked up the door to keep the heat in the oven.

They had a nice crisp to them.

IMG_3795.JPG

AWE, MAN! You got me beat this weekend.....hands down!!;)
That food looks fantastic. Yet another reason to get my living room done and get started on the wood fired oven.......

Yet another reason to get my living room done
I'm thinkin' Mrs. SO will agree on this point.
My lovely wife, um, "scolded" me (AKA, got pretty ticked at me) yesterday for not having some molding done in the bedroom. Reasons don't count...they're merely looked at as excuses.
In the meantime, I had started tearing up the stove room.
I'm beginning to see her point.>> Begrudgingly.

Reactions: ScotO
Looks good, Do you find any advantage to pushing the fire to the back? I usually push it to the side and load two pizzas back to front.
have to try the wing idea this weekend

This oven is a down draft. Air enters through the door at the bottom, rushes to the fire, up the back and top of the dome and then down the front and out. The stratified air is so distinct at the door. When I first fired it up with the fire in the middle of the oven, there was too much turbulence and could not get a hard, steady burn.

Now you got me thinking of a side fire. It would be easier loading the pizza in straight. Thanks for mentioning it.

I tried a wimpy Weber pizza this weekend. It doesn't hold a candle to yours. Not enough top heat in there. But it still was tasty. :)

IMG_1603web.jpg

Reactions: Eatonpcat and ScotO
I tried a wimpy Weber pizza this weekend. It doesn't hold a candle to yours. Not enough top heat in there. But it still was tasty. :)

View attachment 104565

It looks fine to me. I started out using a Weber. I was able to obtain a discarded lid and cut an opening with a jigsaw wide enough for a perforated pizza pan. I built the fire in the back using maple or oak. heat would rise up across the dome and out the door. 1/4 turn every few minutes. It worked well.

There is a Youtube video where a guy builds a pizza oven using fire brick and angle iron. All loose stacked, no mortar. It worked surprisingly well.
IMG_3392.JPG DSC09389.JPG DSC09388.JPG

Reactions: Eatonpcat and ScotO
They all look good! Thats what I'm making for dinner tonight ....... your making me hungry maybe lunch:)

Status
Not open for further replies.