Coal in a Pellet Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKBAGUY

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
Milford, PA
Is it possible to use pea sized coal in a pellet stove? With the scarcity of pellets around the area, I'm wondering if it's safe to substitute, since I live right smack in the Coal Belt up here in PA.

NO

Is it possible to use pea sized coal in a pellet stove? With the scarcity of pellets around the area, I'm wondering if it's safe to substitute, since I live right smack in the Coal Belt up here in PA.
have no idea but I would think it would make the stove and exhaust pretty dirty for openers..

The answer is not No, it is HELL NO!!!! You should have bought a stoker to start with! You'll melt the burn pot dump valve if it has (had) one or the burn chamber. You're dealing with a major increase in btu's per pound. Like running nitro in a VW beetle.

sure if you want to burn down your house, or destroy a $2,000 +++ machine

OK, just thought I'd ask.

:) I guess you got a good cross-section of the group's psyche. :) Or psycho!!

NIce stove, by the way. Put it's description in your 'signature' so it's easier for everyone to know what you have.

RTFM ain't an accepted reply here. Period. Just like "Google is your friend.," or "Search is your friend." isn't.

Just for grits, and shins, we tried throwing a "few" pieces of rice coal in the burn pot of our PAH - and it didn't light, even after an hour.

Any restriction, under the coal, would prevent it from igniting -just the nature of the fuel.

Just for grits, and shins, we tried throwing a "few" pieces of rice coal in the burn pot of our PAH - and it didn't light, even after an hour.

Any restriction, under the coal, would prevent it from igniting -just the nature of the fuel.
Yes, coal must have air flowing up through it to ignite. Now it might actually burn in a Quad with the small holes directing air at the very bottom but it would melt the trap door. You'd get plenty of heat until all three snap disks popped, the bottom burned out of your stove, the smoke detector went off, and the CO detector started screaming. If you could hear it above the fire trucks' sirens.

Pic of a coal stove in action.... would be a wee bit too hot for a pellet stove me thinks _g

coal stove.jpg

Attachments

• coal stove.jpg
    coal stove.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 296
RTFM ain't an accepted reply here. Period. Just like "Google is your friend.," or "Search is your friend." isn't.

Actually BB that is the only acceptable answer in this case as it is The Fine Manual that came with the stove and only The Fine Manual that came with the stove that applies, anything else is just a guess, but a guess nonetheless.

After all what could possibly go wrong?

Even old solid fuel furnaces that could burn either fuel had specific grate sets that you had to use and there is a large difference in what coal they could even burn reliably and safely.

Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
Pic of a coal stove in action.... would be a wee bit too hot for a pellet stove me thinks _g

View attachment 128624
AHHHH. I can feel the warmth from here! Is that stove coal or nut? My stove coal was HUGE this year with pieces bigger than both my fists.

AHHHH. I can feel the warmth from here! Is that stove coal or nut? My stove coal was HUGE this year with pieces bigger than both my fists.
Stove coal, but nothing as large as a fist. I've been thinking about trying nut size to see how it burns in comparison.

Look how friggin Thick that Coal stove is!!!!
reason for that...
coal would probably melt my Harman...

Stove coal, but nothing as large as a fist. I've been thinking about trying nut size to see how it burns in comparison.
Yea, I got screwed with this stove coal in bags. Monster pieces mixed in with powder! Never again. The nut coal really burns nicely and gives you a nice smooth bed of coals.

Look how friggin Thick that Coal stove is!!!!
reason for that...
coal would probably melt my Harman...
Guaranteed! Would warp it like a pretzel. There's a reason they put an inch or two of refractory cement in the firebox! :) And why the stoves put out 90,000 btu's.

Reactions: Bridgeman
Can you use and alternative fuel like corn? Some of these stove can do both.
Most will burn a 50/50 mixture BUT you should have the corn rated exhaust piping because of the acids produced when burning corn.

Reactions: KodiakII
Status
Not open for further replies.