Coal Stove Fire Starters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prinefan

Dec 3, 2005
Western Massachusetts
One of my coal suppliers has these little 1"x1" boxes of shaved magnesium (I think) with a wick that is a fool-proof way of starting my stoker stove with one attempt. However, he is some distance away from me. Truth is, I probably would not make the trip for coal if he wasn't the only around that had these starters. The question I have is there any place on the web that I could find like a case of them? Can this stuff be shipped easily through the mail? I run my coal stove on the weekends in the basement for the kids and shut it down during the week, so I go through a number of these starters in a season and would like to always have some on hand.

Thanks for any help.

Hello Prinefan,

I used the Super Cedar Firestarters to start my coal many years ago. The coal was from Utah so might not be the same hardness. Iam confident that they would work fine. I would be happy to send you some samples for you to test. email me at [email protected] and give your shipping address.

I recall the HPBA show used the Super Cedar to start their coal stoves in the burn area the past few years.

Thomas

I've read articles stating one could use matchlight charcoal to start their coal fires.

It seems like it would work, but the parrafin or whatever binding agent may cause collateral damage. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable will be able to chime in.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.