Coals build up at the back

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CRJ700

Dec 22, 2017
Long Island
So. Typically I load NS when starting and try to load EW. It gets difficult because the coals build up a lot faster in the back then the front and the logs want to roll forward so I end up loading NS. Does this happen to anyone else?

So. Typically I load NS when starting and try to load EW. It gets difficult because the coals build up a lot faster in the back then the front and the logs want to roll forward so I end up loading NS. Does this happen to anyone else?
Yeah you have to rake out the coals. But i never load ew i just cant fit nearly as much wood that way which means less heat and shorter burns

bholler x2 NS allows more wood and better burning in my Mansfield . Pull the coals forward and load on top , fire takes off real fast.

Reactions: savageactor7
That's how my Englander runs. I rake the coals forward between reloads. All the air pretty much comes from the front of the stove so it makes sense. I almost always load N/S as it's easier to put the wood in that way, it can never roll into the glass and it takes off more quickly that way too. On a really cold night if I'm getting ready for an overnight burn and want to make sure I have good coals the next morning i may put the biggest piece I have in the back E/W, then load everything else N/S. Seems to work well for me.