Q&A Cold air during the night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

When I use my fireplace- after the fire has died for the night- the cold outside air comes back in and fills the house with cold- smoke scented air. I know that a glass screen would solve this problem- but I do not want to put up a permanent glass screen. Is there a temporary screen- not necessarily glass- which could be put in place overnight until the damper is closed in the morning?

Answer:

You have a common problem called "flow reversal" - which occurs because of numerous reasons. As we know- cold air falls- so the large mass of chimney outside the home is hard to keep warm. In addition- many homes are quite tight and need to draw air in from somewhere....and the chimney is the perfect place.I have seen a type of blanket (I assume it's fireproof) that can drape over the fireplace- but I do not know where you can buy it. A glass door- or better yet efficient fireplace insert will help with the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.