cold air return

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cadmobile500

Nov 29, 2016
southern new hampshire
i have a 50k btu pellet stove in the finished basement of my 1400 sq ft split level home.
the house originally had electric heat but the previous owners installed a propane furnace in the attic:rolleyes:.
the cold air return is in the hallway on the second floor.

would it be worth it to relocate the cold air return to the basement to circulate the heated air from the basement throughout the house to supplement the propane furnace?

thanks in advance. tom

i run my furnace on auto with the settings on summer and temp set to 74. so when temp in the house gets to 74+ it kicks the furnace on and distributes the air around the house till it cools down enough for tstat so shut it off. I would try it this burning season and see how it works at you place. make note of cold areas and adjust your air movment from there.