Cold coming, stove up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwloco

Jan 17, 2008
Asheville NC
Here in the mountains of NC, we've had ying/yang weather of late. Highs as high as 65F, lows down to single digits.

Thursday, it was a little overcast, but I had the day off. I put up enough oak and locust to last us until at least the end of March, maybe later. Even a little dogwood I had to cut as it was dead.

Saturday night after a long day of trying to sell Volkswagens in a recession. A cold rain fell all day. The TV and my computer tells me a big cold front is on the way. House cold. My 17 year old chocolate lab, Breton, saw me starting a fire and came over and nuzzled me. She knows colder weather and snow is on the way.

The VC Resolute II is coming up to temperature, the Stirling engine just about ready to go.

I love having a wood stove to unwind with after a long day of mindless toil.

I hauled in a couple of days' worth of wood this afternoon and am awaiting the same system. It'll be the first snowy time I've been able to burn as I just got my install finished a couple of weekends ago. I'm looking forward to it. Is your dealership the one over by the Moose?

Yup. You'll find me behind the &^%&^$ yellow wall in the VW showroom. Dreaming of much colder environs. I want to go back to Antarctica bad.

Yep we've got a cold front coming our way up here too. Last week we got hammered with about 16" of heavy snow on top of the 2 feet that was already on the ground. The power went out at about midnight during the storm and didn't come back for about 18 hours. My old cookstove pumps out serious heat though. The worst was no water and kero light at night.
Today it rained on top if it and knocked it down some but now it's turning cold. Sunday through Teusday is supposed too be single digits during the overnight and teens or low 20's during the day. It's quite the skating rink out there right now! I'm down too my last full row of wood which usually lasts a month per row. So, maybe I'm just a hair short although I have a cord of eastern larch outside that will get me through. Mud season's a comin! ;-)

We're even supposed to get snow in north Bama tonite - the TV weathermen are all in a twitter. Now, as a child, I hated Asheville, NC. I grew up 80 miles to the SE in Upstate SC. WLOS-13 was our TV and would pan the glorious snow and tell that all schools were closed around Asheville. In the Piedmont, we rarely got it. I cried alot those winters.

Status
Not open for further replies.