Cold Snowy Days are A Coming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

The weather for the next few days look like winter is finally upon us in NY Metro Area. This is why we do what we do. I spent a lot of time preparing for days like these. Too bad my commute is 50 miles each way but Its part of NY living. Bring wood indoors before it gets buried by the snow; Everything is harder with snow and ice on the ground.

Stay Safe friends.

Attachments

• cold.JPG
    cold.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: Beer Belly
Our high on Friday is like 4. And Thursday is showing "significant snowfall" with a low of -2. I wish we had more indoor space for wood at this time!!

Cottage, similar situation here. We have a split level home which has a 15 feet long 3 ft tall semi-covered area, I use that to bring wood closer to the house and cover it with a beige-yellowish tarp which kinda matches the house color. It makes life easier. I only do that when we have emminent snow as i dont want to create and eyesore in front of the house (the wife will give me grief) but then again she aint the one bringing wood in 2 feet of snow.

We have a rack near the house, but it was so muddy we couldn't move more wood to it over the weekend. So...it'll be more of a walk! DH usually brings in the wood over the week, since he's home during the day when it's light out and he can see, but right at the moment I'm pondering a walk to one of the further racks for a night restock. At least it's 19, not 9 at the moment!

I usually bring in a bucket full when I walk the Murph over the course of the evening. It adds up quick when the temps drop & I need more firewood in the house.

I can hold atleast 1 week inside, and a month right outside the back door, under a tarp.

Stay warm, folks, we're dipping down to 10F tonight here in Icy Hollow, from 40F during the day !

Last edited:
yve8ajur.jpg

Woke up to 20 below this morning and it will only slightly moderate over the next couple days. Oh well the stove is earning it's keep this year.

Unfortunately, I just figured out the weeks supply of wood I brought up to the house is box elder, not ash. Crap, I'll be through it in 4 days at this rate.

Reactions: Swedishchef
I'm welcoming the cold weather considering that the weekend before last it hit 70 :p I am running a bit low on wood though and as a stopgap liquidated my supply of pallets yesterday and stacked them up in the basement wood bin. There's nothing more satisfying than waking up to a 70 degree house and a hot bed of coals in the furnace when it's -5 outside.

Crank up the stoves. This is the coldest we're going to have so far this week coming.
Just brought in some mulberry, that wood does burn hot.

Okay, I fess up - when the temps are "minus" I turn the furnace on for a few hours then I don't have to worry about frozen water pipes in the basement.

Okay, I fess up - when the temps are "minus" I turn the furnace on for a few hours then I don't have to worry about frozen water pipes in the basement.
Okay....now that we're being honest here.....I'll be the first one to fire up the furnace if the stove can't keep pace. We (Wife and I...and Codi *Yorkie*), work too hard to be uncomfortable....this house has the thermostats set at 64*....we may bump'em up with the negative temps coming

Ditto . . . running a few gallons of oil each winter is cheap insurance for me against the possible mess and expense of dealing with frozen/ruptured plumbing.

Okay....now that we're being honest here.....I'll be the first one to fire up the furnace if the stove can't keep pace. We (Wife and I...and Codi *Yorkie*), work too hard to be uncomfortable....this house has the thermostats set at 64*....we may bump'em up with the negative temps coming

I'll have the furnace on again Monday night for a few hours as the forecast is for an overnight windchill temp of -43.

Contrary to popular planning here I bring in 4+ cords and stack it in my unfinished basement in Sept./Oct. and only have to walk up the stairs with an armload to keep the 30 running. I keep a thermometer in the basement and use the furnace to warm things up if necessary during long cold spells. The offset from 1500-2G a year to 2-400 would be majorly upset if I needed to replace pipes.

I also have a few water bottles set up in strategic locations around the foundation wall as a freeze guide.

I also have a few water bottles set up in strategic locations around the foundation wall as a freeze guide.

Wow. I have never heard of that. It's a good idea!!

I have a 5 year old house and no pipes are inside the walls. If my pipes freeze, our house is an ice box.

Andrew

I started to get irritated that my Chinese food we had delivered last night was cold as we sipped our cocktails in the 76 degree house. Then I looked at the thermometer for outside, 3 F, okay, I'll cut them some slack this time.

First year burning wood in my home, first winter I've been comfortable in my home.

I just spent a week in New England with almost no snow :mad:
Now back in NC and we are missing this whole storm :mad:
Back to work as scheduled :mad:

I use those digital temp and humidity gauges from WM. You can get the cheaper ones for about $5. That way i know exactly what the temp is in each location. If it gets anywhere close to 32 i can take action.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
I started to get irritated that my Chinese food we had delivered last night was cold as we sipped our cocktails in the 76 degree house. Then I looked at the thermometer for outside, 3 F, okay, I'll cut them some slack this time.

First year burning wood in my home, first winter I've been comfortable in my home.

Welcome to the addiction :)

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
Woke up to 20 below this morning and it will only slightly moderate over the next couple days.
Holy frostbite batman! I thought 20 above was cold. Ill be going from a partime burner to a full time one this weekend.

Moo Goo Gai Stove.

I have experienced the houses with no stove recently. Shiver. Shiver. Shiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.