Cold Snowy Days are A Coming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
High tomorrow 14 ,next tuesday 8 . Will be running my work shop stove 24/7 to keep things warm. Unheated shop usually dont go below 35 with no heat.

Yeah, we're expecting some wicked temps here also....brought in some Oak for the occasion and added to stack in the garage

I just spent a week in New England with almost no snow :mad:
Now back in NC and we are missing this whole storm :mad:
Back to work as scheduled :mad:

You didn't go far enough north . . . so far this year is a banner year for us in terms of snow. It's been years since I've seen this much snow this early.

-33::F with a high of -3::F.
Ever since the beginning of December we have been in the deep freeze.
Had a couple of good days last week which allowed me to start the ATV and bring wood in.

Good day for Passive Solar. Warmer than usual in the house today(75-78) despite the single digits outside and backup heat on idle.

-33::F with a high of -3::F.
Ever since the beginning of December we have been in the deep freeze.
Had a couple of good days last week which allowed me to start the ATV and bring wood in.

What's your forecast for early next week?

I heard western Wisconsin will be -54 (wind chill) on Monday.

We might even being set up for "Ice Bowl 2" on Sunday - Green Bay is forecast for a -44 (wind chill) game time.

Unbelievable cold temps!

Contrary to popular planning here I bring in 4+ cords and stack it in my unfinished basement in Sept./Oct. and only have to walk up the stairs with an armload to keep the 30 running.

If we had a basement, you'd better believe we'd have a season's worth of wood down there (along with a workshop, pool table and canned stuff storage area...oh, and a door leading to a root cellar!!). My grandparents did that every year (season's worth of wood in the cellar) and I'd do it in a second too if I could. With only 700 sq ft here, there just isn't anywhere to stash it. I am going to see if I can haul a few extra old crates down from the attic to put in the laundry room where the little christmas tree was and fill those up. Should get us an extra couple days worth inside, since it's fixing to be pretty dang cold next week again.

Well................ So far it looks like the farmers almanac was right again!

current.jpg

It pales in comparison to what you guys are seeing, but this morning I woke to the coldest temperature we've ever seen in our house (NW New Jersey)-1°F! Englander is cranking now to get the 65° house back into the 70s. Not a drop of oil burned since the cold snap hit!

Reactions: Doug MacIVER
We are at -5*F here in the S/W Connecticut. We never could get good burn times out our Avalon Ranier (small firebox)....at least not overnight, and I usually get up a few times for nature calls (and dog), but we both slept thru the night.....thermostats set at 64*F.....we did burn some Oil, but that's ok, we save enough $$$ to burn a little here and there

We are at -5*F here in the S/W Connecticut. We never could get good burn times out our Avalon Ranier (small firebox)....at least not overnight, and I usually get up a few times for nature calls (and dog), but we both slept thru the night.....thermostats set at 64*F.....we did burn some Oil, but that's ok, we save enough $$$ to burn a little here and there
guilty, i had to as well. guilty of one of the seven sins as well. envy, oh those folks with a bigger stove!!!!!!!!!!

Reports of frozen pipes are starting to come in. With another cold snap following don't be afraid to cycle the boiler/furnace occasionally. It's cheap insurance compared to the potential cost of repairing frozen pipes.

Reactions: Swedishchef
guilty, i had to as well. guilty of one of the seven sins as well. envy, oh those folks with a bigger stove!!!!!!!!!!

Having a big stove, well, furnace, is nice in that regard, but sometimes I do wish I could watch my fire while lounging on the couch rather than sitting on a steel folding chair in the basement :p It's heading for the low teens tonight but heat wave (40s) tomorrow and then back down in single digits during the week?

Status
Not open for further replies.