Collar stove with GAP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mei_2coats

Jul 16, 2022
London
Hi there, I’m living in a narrowboat and already starts thinking about the cold season.

I’ve been using a boatman stove and found that the collar has a lil gap, is a matter of mm, but when I put the fire def I can see through. What u would suggest? Someone told me the collar is not replaceable, so Im trying to figure it out if is possible use other option like fire cement maybe?!?

Attached the pic.
F278DB6C-5CAC-47DF-B14A-A3D65D22EAC0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cement would nor work long term. It'd fall off from the heat/cold cycle. Itll need to have a bead of weld put on.

Reactions: Mei_2coats
in general, I would think small gaps around flue collar could be filled by putting some thin stove gasket in the area. Push in gasket ( not too forceful) with a flathead screwdriver).

Is that thick ring collar necessary? I don't see it on a standard Boatman stove. If not, remove it and connect the stovepipe directly to the stove or get the proper adapter for the stovepipe. I think these stoves take 5" stovepipe.
Additionally, the stovepipe is too close to the wood. In a residential installation, it would require 18" clearance. The wood trim or the stove pipe should be properly shielded. Or better yet, replace it with Boatman's double-walled stovepipe which is mandated on all new boats.

Last edited: