Comfort Built Hp22

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strick5

Dec 20, 2016
Greensboro,NC
Anyone have any experience with the Comfort built Hp22? This is my first time using a pellet stove. I don't think it is running as efficient as it should. I'm going through 2 bags a day. It's in my basement now and I have around 1600 sgft upstairs to heat. Any help would be great. Pm me anytime.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum! What pellets are you using? Do you have an Outside Air Kit (OAK) hooked up? Is the basement insulated? Is it a shallow basement ... how much of the outside walls are exposed? Walls/floors would have to be heated up first. What temps are you getting in the basement? Heat may not contribute much to the upstairs ... Layout of the basement and stairs location?

You may just be asking too much from the stove... It is stated that it heats 1200 sq. ft (45,000 BTUs +/- max) which is bigger than the upstairs and it is located in the basement (judging basement is the same size). Should think about a second stove upstairs if you are using the stove as a primary heat source.

I'm using Greenway from tractor supply. No Oak hook up. Basement is about 7foot talk. One side of the basement is exposed. There is no insulation on the ceiling of the basement. It heats the upstairs just fine, as long as I leave the door open. I'm new to all this. Does this sound normal?

Feed rate maxes out at 5.5 lbs/hr ... 80 lbs (2 bags) at max rate (5.5) would be 14.5 hours. Seems you are idling along at the mid burn rate so not so bad.

Greenways are good pellets from my experience. I heated a whole winter with them and they were good so yours should be good too. There have only been one or two others here that have a Comfort Built 22 that I've seen.

Keep us posted with info on yours. Good Luck.

Thanks. I read all over the Internet that people are use only a bag a day. Again thanks for the response
What size is their space though? You're heating a basement and upstairs with yours 1600 + sq ft. Mind you, your temperature gradient isn't as big as mine as you don't get -50 temps;)

Reactions: Strick5
I think he was more worried about pellet consumption being normal. You will burn more in the colder stuff but it tapers during shoulder season and usually averages out to around a ton per month overall for the heating season.

He could maybe insulate the one exposed wall though which is a heat sink sucking up the heat the 22 is producing.

Wouldn't the OAK kit give him a more efficient burn?

The HP22 was at the top of my list but I'm glad I didn't choose it because the lesser Serenity stove is too much stove for my house. How you like it so far? You just leave the basement door open and there's enough heat to heat the entire first floor?

The HP22 was at the top of my list but I'm glad I didn't choose it because the lesser Serenity stove is too much stove for my house. How you like it so far? You just leave the basement door open and there's enough heat to heat the entire first floor?

I think OAKs are they way to go. It would improve his overall comfort but not sure how much of a difference it would truly make on efficiency. I'd say it does help but how much is the question.

Those Serenitys are good stoves. I've been eyeing them awhile.

I really like it . Yes right now I leave the door open and put it on 72 degrees and it feels nice in the whole house. I'm looking at doing some type of vents in the floor. Maybe use a in line fan to push the heat to the first floor and then I can close the basement door. Still thinking of some improvements.

I have enough air in the basement that an OAK may not make a difference. I also looked at the serenity too. That was my second choice. I went with the hp22 since I was an hour from the seller . Worked out , cause the door switch for the auger went out a week after buying it . Drove to the store and got a replacement no problem.

I really like it . Yes right now I leave the door open and put it on 72 degrees and it feels nice in the whole house. I'm looking at doing some type of vents in the floor. Maybe use a in line fan to push the heat to the first floor and then I can close the basement door. Still thinking of some improvements.

I mentioned doing vents in the floor when I originally was going to place the stove in the basement but I was told this was against code or something like that. I'm not 100% sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.