Comfortbilt HP 50 crack around silicone seal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HearhFlame

Mar 19, 2023
Mercer
I just received the new stove. Took side panels off to inspect parts and found a silicone seal broken around the part where the pellet shoot (pictured top -silver- male part) inserts into combustion chamber (dark grey -bottom- female openning).
The way the stove is put together allows for too much give/ rocking during the handling and therefore too much in- and -out of the pellet shoot to the point that the seal on the rtv silicone is broken.
The color is pretty orange unlike the red you're used to seeing inside the stove pipe seams. I'm guessing it could be higher rated silicone.
Are the temps higher there and would it require higher rated product ( like picture #2)

I'm planning on contacting the company about it but not until the stove is in its place so if they send a technician to fix it the stove won't have to be moved again. Although the way it is designed makes it vulnerable to it happening again every time the stove is being moved.

20230418_182812.jpg Screenshot_2023-04-24-12-40-41.png

Watched some YouTube video on the subject. Looks like overheat sensor located within 2-3 inches is set to trigger at 197F and shut down the unit.
So I'm presuming temps don't reach insane highs of 2000F.

I look at the back side of that chute also...That Rutland sealant dries hard not like silicone.