Commune in 2011?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
southernpine said:
if i decide i want to bring out one of my loud gas guzzling 1950's iron behemoths for an occasional drive I don't want Mr. Prius giving me hell and I don't want to spend every spare daylight minute working in the communal garden while Mr. Prius touches up his manicure.

Well, this is probably why a commune will not work!

Sure, you can take a ride in your iron hulk...for fun, while making noise and spewing out 100x as much pollution than the gentle Prius. But then, if I want to ride my especially loud Harley and puncture your eardrums, that is OK too.

Living communally or even relative close (as in many urban centers) requires compromises......most of them are no big things, but they also should not be taken lightly. As an example, we could not own dogs on The Farm. I really love my dog and make sure she does not disturb anyone, yet it is clear that not everyone does that. Some folks think it is OK to leave a dog bark all day on their one acre plot.

Let's face it - the commune of the 60's (and before) is probably not the future of housing. More likely, a lot of us will live in urban areas, condos, apartments and smaller homes. However, all of them also require compromises. But I think the benefits often outweigh what you give up. For instance, it is more important for me to be close to stores, bank, post office, etc. (less energy and time wasted) than to have a large dog. It is more important for me to have a neighborhood that is clean and looks nice, than to be able to build up my outdoor junk pile to no end.

In any case, I think in many ways we have a commune....many times over....here on the internet. Never before have so many been able to easily communicate and help each other so easily. On the Farm we called that "The Group Head", which meant a combination between the combined intelligence of us all (as opposed to just one of us) along with an emotional intelligence that we might define as consensus or agreement. An example might be this - the Hearth.com community, by and large, came to the agreement - through experience and research - that perhaps we could do better than the old OWBs. We may have a few who don't buy into that, but many have come to the realization that if we ALL want to burn wood, we have to do it cleanly and efficiently using the best technology. Not really too much different than the loud gas guzzler.......

A good modern society has room for all. Even densely populated European countries have a mix of urban, small town and even rural living. If anything, we in the US need less sprawling burbs and more towns and urban centers.....the tighter people are packed, the less energy they use (RI and MA. us 1/3 or less the energy per capita as WY or TX).

SolarAndWood said:
southernpine said:
Sorry but I am a bit biased against Prius' and their owners. Hope I don't offend anyone too much. :)

Nope, not at all. The hybrid perfectly compliments the 10 year old 3/4 ton Chevy it parks next to.

And I will see you my Honda Civic Hybred parked next to the 1/2 ton Ford Ranger! Like minds......

Ford Focus between '70 F350 and '00 F250 here. 20K miles on the Focus at 30+mpg per year and about 5K for both trucks per year. I can still fell OK with myself.

Now that we're talking cars - I swapped my pickup for a jetta tdi wagon with a trailer hitch and trailer. I get around 40 mpg commuting and I can still haul over a half ton of firewood. I love this car!

iN THE GENERAL POPULATION WE ALREADY HAVE HALF THE PEOPLE WORKING TO SUPPORT THE OTHER HALF WHO DOES NOT CARE TO SUPPORT THEMSELVES, SO YOU COULD GET A SMALLER VERSION OF THAT IF YOUR NOT CAREFUL

I'm surprised that the number of working people is so high. Of the total US population of about 310 million, just about 1/2 are under 20 or 65 or more years old. Maybe we need to get the babies and old people back to work. Of the remaining 1/2 of the population, about 1/2 of these are lazy men, standing around doing nothing, and the other 1/2 are women also doing nothing because women don't do any real work.

Now, that leaves just you and me, and I'm tired, so you better get back to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.