Comparing Direct Vent Gas Inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

biblio

Oct 11, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I am considering these direct vent gas inserts: Mendota, Rushmore from White Mt. Hearth, Iron Strike and Majestic. The first two are priced similarly and are about $3500 higher than the other two. Approximately $10,000 vs. $7500 for the unit and installation. Are these brands significantly different in quality?

One installer suggested that we go with a "millivolt" unit as opposed to an electronic ignition claiming that it is more reliable. He also said that Mendota is more complex and harder to install. Is this accurate information?

The insert will be used occasionally for aesthetic reasons.

Thanks for any help!

I am considering these direct vent gas inserts: Mendota, Rushmore from White Mt. Hearth, Iron Strike and Majestic. The first two are priced similarly and are about $3500 higher than the other two. Approximately $10,000 vs. $7500 for the unit and installation. Are these brands significantly different in quality?

One installer suggested that we go with a "millivolt" unit as opposed to an electronic ignition claiming that it is more reliable. He also said that Mendota is more complex and harder to install. Is this accurate information?

The insert will be used occasionally for aesthetic reasons.

Thanks for any help!
I don't have any first hand knowledge of the brands that you are considering, I only sell HeatnGLo.

As for the millivolt versus IPI or other type of electronic ignition, there are some merits to that statement.
Millivolt systems are simpler, with fewer components that can break down. They also allow the appliance to be used during a power outage with no battery back up (although blowers, lights, and other accessories won't work without 110 power).
Millivolt systems use a standing pilot (Which is being vilified by certain groups for the energy waste) which helps keep the flue heated and typically makes it easier for the insert to light during colder months (although most IPI units have a Standing pilot option that will serve the same function).

Every Mendota I have worked on are of great quality. Majestic is owned by Hearth N Home now so their quality will be good. I don't have experience with Iron Strike. White Mountain Hearth is an Empire brand and I can tell you, from my experience, if I went with anything from Empire that used the Maxitrol IPI system, I would get a millivolt system. Mendota I am pretty sure uses the SIT Proflame system which I love.

Mendota is top level brand, as you know from price already. Millivolt vs IPI, both have their merits. Interesting that most MFRs will tell you to run even the IPI systems in CPI (Constant Pilot Ignition, hence standing pilots) during the cold months of Dec/Jan/Feb for better reliability. Enviro and Kozy Heat are two more good MFRs, both make MV and IPI units. Iron Strike I believe are the original Country MFR line, Country stoves were good quality too. Any brand name installed properly will do well, but Mendota comes highly suggested with most people in the stove business.