Comparing wood consumption in Progress Hybrid and Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rideau

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2012
southern ontario
I've just loaded my iron firewood hoop full with maple from my main stacks.

This much wood would have heated my home for 2 1/2 days with the Fireview, although I do have to mention that some of the wood would have been ironwood, and this is all maple, which won't burn quite as long, or give off quite as much heat. Also, these spliuts are spmewhat larger than those I burned in the Fireview, as the PH door is larger and allows insertion of larger splits. So that would tend to make the wood burn longer. Maybe the cold weather/larger splits will balance and leave an even ground for comparing with the usual Firevuew consumption?

Anyway, going to start burning it, and we'll see how long it lasts. This is a very casual test, especially since it's really cold out, and windy, and my draft is very strong at the moment.

Anything interesting comes of this, I'll post the result.

That will be a helpful comparison. Thanks Rideau!

It continues quite cold here. 5 below last night. Perfect sleeping weather, and I overslept. Woke at 8:30 to a dog desparate for a walk and a stove burned down to white ashes. First time this season I have not had to work to burn the coals down after twelve hours before being able to reload. Raked what few coals there were to the front and reloaded. Two big splits, and a relatively small door, so let them burn for a few hours, then opened the cat and air, added two more splits, charred wood, closed air and cat, and am happily burning. Am definitely using more wood than on my average day. Not putting more wood in per load, just burning more quickly because of increased draft.

It's getting abit warmer out. The forecast is for snow starting this afternoon and running through Friday, with temps getting to near freezing. I wish it was not getting quite that warm...the snow will be heavy and wet. The snow we have now is beautiful, and the ground doesn't get slippery, or icy, no matter how trodden the area.

Have used 6 splits and a few smaller pieces since starting this "experiment". It's 12:30 and still have lots of wood left in the firebox, as I'd expect.

Sounds good rideau. I would have been doing the same thing except for the fact that we had to cancel our order on the Progress. It simply would have been too much stove for us as the Fireview can roast us out if we're not careful. It is also still amazing to us how little wood we burn compared to other stoves we've had.

Woke at 5 to a deep bed of coals. Walked the dog...temps have really moderated, feels as if it is close to 32F, big change from -14F. There was a really strong S wind (according to weather canada gusts to about 40MPH. Strong draft in the chimney. Could hear the air moving. Wind died about an hour ago. It is still out, although Weather Canada says it won't stay that way. Snow didn't come when predicted. Now calling for a few inches over the next day or so....we are right around freezing, so I hope it IS snow, albeit wet snow, and not ice or freezing rain.

I opened the air to about 1/3 after walking the dog, and am about to load the stove. Certainly chose challenging weather to test wood consumption. I am now a day and a half into this burn test, and have used slightly less than half the wood in the rack. The home is warmer than it would have been with the Fireview...that -14F with Northerly winds would have really challenged the Fireview. I have tons of windows...way more window than wall in the 32 x 46 stove room, and most facing North, some east and west, none South.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Loaded stove first at about 6 PM Wednesday, and put the last few splits in at about 8 PM Saturday. That small load had burned to coals by about 1 AM (didn't cheat and add enough wood for an overnight burn).

So, this very unscientific test has a result of the PH running for over three days on a hoop full of maple (to tell the truth, almost full. I could have gotten a few small splits in at the top), compared to a FIreview running for 2 1/2 days on a mix of maple, beech and ironwood.

Probably about 20% longer burn time, and definitely more heat. We had some really cold weather during this test (-15 F with a strong North wind).

This result is in keeping with what my impression was about wood consumption.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
For sure you can't do that with the Fireview. But I can still get 12 hour burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.