Comparison: Jotul F45 Greenville & PE Alderlea T5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mar13

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2018
California redwood coast
Hi you all,

I'm hoping to get some input from folks who are familiar with the F45 and T5, especially from the last few years. I know BeGreen has made positive comments on both, but edges towards the Alderlea line.

I'm under a short deadline due to a stove replacement voucher, so I'm having to make decisions more uninformed than I'd like. Clearance issues, heating needs, and spousal preferences (slight preference toward T5 as it's pictured in catalog) have narrowed me down to the F45 and the Alderlea T5. They will both fit my burning styles, I believe. Unfortunately, there's no T5 anywhere near for me to see it in person. I can see a Super 27, F55, and an old F45 in person at the local dealer.

Looking at the Jotul 2018 paper catalog, it places the F45 at a 2.3 cubic foot firebox vs. 2.1 for the T5. Functionally similar, I figure. The window is bigger on the T5 which is a plus. The catalog also lists the F45 at 445 pounds (their website says 400 - go figure) and the T5 at 515 pounds, which makes me wonder if there's more cast iron with the T5 or a better firebox. The Jotul prices at $2100 vs $2800 for the T5, but dollar averaging over a couple of decades, that's negligible. Those are the stats I have to go off, but nothing beats experience or seeing the real thing.

So, after that brief rambling here are some of the questions floating through my mind:

Is the quality of fit and finish about the same? I have an uninformed bias thinking that Scandinavian-based (Maine designed) Jotul F45 would have an advantage here.

Durability differences if treated properly?

Is the T5 door handle any good? It's looks a bit cheesy compared to the Jotul.

Warranty: Pacific Energy is "limited" lifetime and states only 10 years. (That doesn't sound like lifetime to me - I hope! :) ) Jotul has a true lifetime on baffold & manifold and 5 years on other parts. I guess any manufacturer defect should show up in 5-10 years and beyond that would be normal wear or my mistakes.

Which one would be easier to maintain / chimney sweep, if any difference at all?

The T5 lists smaller clearances, and I'm not sure if that's just company style or if it suggests something important about stove construction.

I wish I could just kick the tires in person....

(Oh, one last side comment. Once I get a stove and try it for a season, I'll post a review. I see so many people asking for help, then saying they've ordered a stove, give their thanks, good-bye, so long. But then they don't later post a stove review. For some models, there just aren't very many recent reviews, but I suspect there's been many purchases. )

Thanks for any and all input.

Last edited:
I have no experience with the jotul.

The T5 is a great stove and I've been thrilled with it.

I'll try to address your concerns, but can't discuss the Jotul as I have never played with one.

The T5 is heavy. When moving it into the cabin, we had to disassemble as much as we could in order to get the dolly up the stairs and through the doorway. I'm not sure you'd notice the difference in the weights of the 2 stoves.

I have no doubt that the T5. Will last longer than 10 years, even with moderate abuse. Steel stoves can take punishment. The secondary system is much more robust than a normal tube stove. I think there are quite a few of these fireboxes at or over the 10 year mark here. Since the super is the same firebox you can get an idea of how the T5 will hold up. The cladding isn't going to be the part that falls apart.

The chimney is easy to sweep. I haven't tried to sweep this one from the bottom. But don't think there would be a problem with it. The baffle comes out easy enough.

The door handle is a solid steel bar with a handle attached. The steel looks 3/8" thick. It's stronger than I am. I'm not going to break it.

Both are good stoves by good companies. The T5 is based of the mid size super 27 box that has been the main stay of the line up for pacific energy. It’s also know for its long burn times for the size due to its controlled secondary air. Also parts are generally easy to get and replace on these stoves.

I dropped by the local Jotul/PE dealer today and a more knowledgeable sales person was on the floor. He convinced me to go with the T5 over the F45. He suggested that the T5 had more heat output while the F45 might be a bit low on the heat for my needs, the T5 has heavier cast iron & a better wrap around the back which helps with clearance, and I also liked the smaller required clearances in general of the T5.

For my anticipation , though, would some T5 owners be generous enough to measure the distance from the window (I believe that's where 16 inches front hearth requirement begins) to the lip of the tray? The brochure lists a total depth of 28.5 inches, but I can't tell how much of that is beyond the window. Including the year of your stove too, just in case they've evolved over the years.

Thanks for all of your input to my various posts trying to figure out a stove. I'll be sure to post a review after I get it up and running in the next few months. (Hopefully before winter ends - if it ever starts in California this year. It'd be great if the fires were to move inside rather than outside :( )

Reactions: Aspen5