Condar Digital Catalyst Thermometer probe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2012
Eastern Tennessee
We have recently placed the probe where it belongs; half inch away from catalyst. We had to dremel the hole so the probe would fit inside. At first I was getting what appeared to be accurate temps but now the temps are lower and nothing has changed regarding the "feeding" of the insert. The manual says that if the probe gets too hot it will become "brittle". I removed the probe and it looks okay but wonder how prone to failure the wiring is inside it. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

As long as the insulation on the probe wire isn't exposed to internal stove temps u should be ok. I had the same probe and fried the insulation. Went with a cheepo digital readout off ebay and a braided stainless wrapped k type thermocouple, no issues since

I wrote Condar an email and asked them what the symptoms were of a failing probe. They responded by saying failed probe symptoms could vary from one application to another (??) the temps might be either too high or too low. He recommend that I inspect the probe to see if the probe was burned off. I did and it wasn't. I then asked him how I might be able to test for accuracy, telling him the probe tip was intact. He responded by saying he didn't know how I could test it but suggested I send it into their repair department for examination. BTW my husband suggested I put the probe in the oven and compare the readout to the oven temp. being careful not to damage the wire.
Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.