Conductive temperatures underneath stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sneefy

Burning Hunk
Feb 20, 2022
Western WI
I'm building a new home. It'll have hydronic radiant tubing in a FPSF concrete slab. No basement.

I reserved a Lopi Evergreen (pedestal version) and have been planning on using concrete pavers for a hearth below it. Pavers I've been contemplating are around 2" thick.

Is there any reason to be concerned about heat from under the stove conducting downwards and damaging the PEX tubing (and for that matter the foam)? Or am I just overthinking it and it's never going to get that hot?

That should be fine. The hearth will not get too hot and that heat will be dissipated by the pavers and slab.

That's what I've been telling myself but I figure getting other people's thoughts couldn't hurt. I've been pondering having the tubing run around the corner hearth area instead of underneath, but I gather that's just being paranoid?

I am fairly certain that the PEX will get hotter with the fluid inside of it than the heat conducted down through the hearth. That said, there is no harm in being cautious. Peace of mind is important.