Confused about BTUs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rpwalton

Dec 15, 2022
Southern Missouri
Info from Blaze King:

Ashford 30.2​

50,000 BTUs
Cord Wood Max BTU

Real World Tested Performance
Constant Heat Output on High
35,980 BTU's per hour for 10 hours

From everything I can see, I think the Ashford 30 will do a good job heating my 1900 sq ft single story home in the Ozarks.

But competitors with similar or even smaller sized fireboxes show significantly higher BTU's , anywhere from 60,000 to 110,000...
Can someone clarify this for me?

Also, if I understand correctly, the Ashford has a steel firebox with cast iron cladding, correct?

Info from Blaze King:

Ashford 30.2​

50,000 BTUs
Cord Wood Max BTU

Real World Tested Performance
Constant Heat Output on High
35,980 BTU's per hour for 10 hours

From everything I can see, I think the Ashford 30 will do a good job heating my 1900 sq ft single story home in the Ozarks.

But competitors with similar or even smaller sized fireboxes show significantly higher BTU's , anywhere from 60,000 to 110,000...
Can someone clarify this for me?

Also, if I understand correctly, the Ashford has a steel firebox with cast iron cladding, correct?
Please take a break from reading brochures and go to the epa list for the standardized testing results regarding btu output. Seems companies can say whatever they want in the brochure.

The ashford is welded steel firebox with cast iron curtains bolted on parts of the exterior. A lot of it is painted steel.

1900 sf in the ozarks should be no problem to keep warm assuming you have at least some insulation.

Be sure the chimney is tall enough.

Reactions: rpwalton
Peak BTUs are more of a marketing thing. They are not sustainable unless one stokes the stove constantly like a locomotive fireman. Blaze King lists what is realistically achievable.

Please take a break from reading brochures and go to the epa list for the standardized testing results regarding btu output. Seems companies can say whatever they want in the brochure.

The ashford is welded steel firebox with cast iron curtains bolted on parts of the exterior. A lot of it is painted steel.

1900 sf in the ozarks should be no problem to keep warm assuming you have at least some insulation.

Be sure the chimney is tall enough.
According to the owners manual, the minimum recommended chimney height for my elevation is 15.5 ft
Is that tall enough?
It says "minimum" so makes me wonder what an ideal height would be...

It could be fine, but also important is the chimney's location relative to the roof. Sometimes it needs to be higher to meet the 10-3-2 rule.

According to the owners manual, the minimum recommended chimney height for my elevation is 15.5 ft
Is that tall enough?
It says "minimum" so makes me wonder what an ideal height would be...

I'd err on the side of too tall before going too short. If the whole thing is vertical, double wall interior pipe, most of the chimney interior to the structure, and no bird screen, then I'd feel good about just hitting the recommended minimum. Usually it is possible to add a bit more later if the minimum isn't quite enough.

You can have too tall of a pipe of course and then a damper would be needed to lower the draft strength to fall within the allowed range.

I'd err on the side of too tall before going too short. If the whole thing is vertical, double wall interior pipe, most of the chimney interior to the structure, and no bird screen, then I'd feel good about just hitting the recommended minimum. Usually it is possible to add a bit more later if the minimum isn't quite enough.

You can have too tall of a pipe of course and then a damper would be needed to lower the draft strength to fall within the allowed range.
So double wall interior pipe to insure adequate heat going up the rest of the pipe?
- to maintain draft?
- and to help prevent creosote condensation?
The pipe store said I just needed single wall pipe from the stove to the ceiling...
Still learning all this stuff, so thanks for the help.

Also, do I need a chase above the roof for the exterior pipe?

So double wall interior pipe to insure adequate heat going up the rest of the pipe?
- to maintain draft?
- and to help prevent creosote condensation?
The pipe store said I just needed single wall pipe from the stove to the ceiling...
Still learning all this stuff, so thanks for the help.

Also, do I need a chase above the roof for the exterior pipe?
Double wall interior pipe is superior but costs more. It’s stainless steel inside so won’t rust out, the insulative value of two walls keeps flue temperatures up which improves draft and reduces creosote, and allows a closer clearance to combustibles.

These efficient stoves have low flue temperatures as it is and you want a good draft to keep things warm and moving.

The exterior chase is application dependent. In my climate, it’s purely an aesthetic decision.

Double wall interior pipe is superior but costs more. It’s stainless steel inside so won’t rust out, the insulative value of two walls keeps flue temperatures up which improves draft and reduces creosote, and allows a closer clearance to combustibles.

These efficient stoves have low flue temperatures as it is and you want a good draft to keep things warm and moving.

The exterior chase is application dependent. In my climate, it’s purely an aesthetic decision.
Hey thanks for the info, much appreciated.
I forgot to ask about the bird screen, does that require a little extra pipe length?
We have lots of birds here so now I'm wondering if I should have a bird screen...

Hey thanks for the info, much appreciated.
I forgot to ask about the bird screen, does that require a little extra pipe length?
We have lots of birds here so now I'm wondering if I should have a bird screen...
It’s a filter. At first maybe not much restriction but they require maintenance and will always be working against you to some extent. I do not recommend a bird screen unless you actually have a bird problem. On my duravent systems the screen is removable and optional and I trashed it. We have lots of birds too but they almost never fly down into my pipe.

single wall pipe stove to ceiling. then double wall after that. get the most "open" bird screen you can or else it plugs easily and youll be up there all the time cleaning it.

theres no real reason to do double wall inside the house below the ceiling unless you like to waste money and heat output.

Reactions: jjf888 and rpwalton
Thanks!
You must be on the Facebook Blaze King forum also?
Or a lucky guess. There are a handful of places for wood heat enthusiasts around the interwebs to shop for answers.

If you have a reasonable amount of insulation, reasonably good air sealing, and your wood fuel is actually dry to less than 20%MC with a 2 pin meter from Lowes-Depot in the <US$50 range, I would anticipate a BK A30 should be able to keep 1900sqft very comfortable in southern MO without working very hard.

You will want the fan kit to pull heat off the firebox, and you will want (most likely) a secondary box fan (on low) on the floor in the hallway to the bedrooms to gently waft cool air along the floor back towards the stove. Among 20" box fans I prefer the Lasko because it is the most quiet, but if you have even one kid at home any 20" box fan will do without adding to escalating mentation. None of the 20" box fans are 'that' loud, but as an empty nester I find the Lasko to be the most quiet.

For any modern wood stove you are buying factory new from a dealer, you are going to need need fuel at or under 20%MC. To test, bring a piece of cordwood into the garage for at least 24 hours, split it open, and measure your MC with the 2 pin meter in the freshly exposed face. Put the pins in parallel to the grain. Do not waste your time or ours by measuring MC in end grain, and do not bother measuring MC in wood that is frozen. Ice is a relatively poor conductor of electricity compared to actual water.

We recommend in multiple locations in the manual the use of black dbl wall stove pipe.

If you elect to use single wall as someone suggests and encounter performance related issues, you can buy dbl wall later. Maybe someone will buy your single wall pipe...

BKVP

We recommend in multiple locations in the manual the use of black dbl wall stove pipe.

If you elect to use single wall as someone suggests and encounter performance related issues, you can buy dbl wall later. Maybe someone will buy your single wall pipe...

BKVP
I had not read the manual at the time of my question, so yes I'l be using double wall pipe.
Planning on picking up our new Ashford 30 sometime this week, weather permitting.
Thanks.

Reactions: showrguy and BKVP