Confusion: Fireplace liner requirements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If I recall correctly, he told me that adding a liner would take care of the clearance issues. He also stipulated that the liner inside the existing clay liner would take care of the clearances issue without needing to insulate. Lastly, he said unless I am doing major burning (>5 cords) the light liner should be just fine.
A liner with no insulation does absolutely nothing to change the clearance requirements

They showed me all three of the types of liner: the lightweight (316), the middle (crossover) and the fully insulated.

They said the fully insulated is what they use for chimneys that don't have a clay liner already. I was also told it's more of a pain to get put together well as you put it down the chimney.

I liked the middle weight liner the best - http://www.messickstove.com/products/chimneys--liners/best-flex-crossover-chimney.html due to the ruggedness and the fact that it's a smooth interior surface.

They are mailing out new quotes for each liner type.
@bholler - any opinion on this liner?

@bholler - any opinion on this liner?
it is a good liner as long as it gets insulated either the preinsulated version or with insulation applied in the feild