Connecting Class A Pipe to bottom of Chimney Liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mybadreligon

Jul 5, 2022
Hamilton, ON, Canada
Hey all, have lurked here for awhile but finally have a question to post. I'm doing some renos and need to move the location of my stove thimble in the wall, lower by about 30" and approx 18" to the side. Currently I have a masonry chimney with a flexible stainless liner. Im trying to figure out the best way to connect the new thimble location to the existing liner if possible?

My current thought was to connect class A pipe between the two. A tee with a cap on the thimble, a 15 or 30 elbow on top of that, an angled length of pipe to get into the chimney under the existing liner, and then another elbow to tie into the liner. The main thing im not sure on, is it possible to tie a liner into the top of a Class A pipe? Will the crimped end of the liner fit into a Class A black pipe adapter or are they meant to be male only?

Also open to suggestions on better ways to do this. Considered running Class A all the way up but i dont think my flues are big enough (8x8 clay liners). Also considered bricking in the area between the existing chimney and the thimble, and running a new liner all the way but not sure if liners can be run around curves. See the attached picture, thanks in advance for any help!

Chimney Update.png

This should be done with an offset stovepipe, preferably double-wall. Can you post some pictures of the current setup, ideally marked with the new location to see if there are other issues?

This should be done with an offset stovepipe, preferably double-wall. Can you post some pictures of the current setup, ideally marked with the new location to see if there are other issues?
Thanks for the reply. The jog over needs to be outside the house wall, though it is under a covered porch and could be bricked in. I thought stove pipe was for indoor use only?

I can get some pictures when I am home.

Okay here is a picture with the old thimble (i know, they installed a masonry thimble in drywall) and a circle on the new location. Reason for the move is to center the stove on the wall and make room on the side for a woodbox. The pipe going straight out the wall is largely for symmetry and the reduced height is for a steel wagon wheel the wife wants to hang above.

20220525_185015.jpg

If I understand correctly, what is being proposed is the offset on the outside of the house? Is that correct? I'm not sure how one would pull that off.

The new location is not going to allow much vertical gain off the stove before making two 90º turns. If the chimney is not tall enough to compensate, the draft may be too low for some stoves. Doing this offset inside would be better.

What stove is going in here and how tall is the current liner?

If I understand correctly, what is being proposed is the offset on the outside of the house? Is that correct? I'm not sure how one would pull that off.

The new location is not going to allow much vertical gain off the stove before making two 90º turns. If the chimney is not tall enough to compensate, the draft may be too low for some stoves. Doing this offset inside would be better.

What stove is going in here and how tall is the current liner?
Napoleon EPA 1400

Current liner is approx 18ft, top of the liner is about 25ft above grade

There may be a solution, but not sure if it would be WETT approved. The 1400 likes 16' of flue. It might be better off to run a new metal chimney all the way up.

There may be a solution, but not sure if it would be WETT approved. The 1400 likes 16' of flue. It might be better off to run a new metal chimney all the way up.
If it wasnt on the front of the house and directly in front of a window to do that i would. Thats why i was trying to get creative, but maybe its not possible. Do liners need to be run straight up and down or could i do the jog with a longer liner? I seem to recall seeing them make a jog where a stove has been installed in the alcove of a fireplace, albiet a "back to front" not "side to side" jog.

Beyond that im short on ideas. May need to do the jog inside instead and connect to the existing liner.

If it wasnt on the front of the house and directly in front of a window to do that i would. Thats why i was trying to get creative, but maybe its not possible. Do liners need to be run straight up and down or could i do the jog with a longer liner? I seem to recall seeing them make a jog where a stove has been installed in the alcove of a fireplace, albiet a "back to front" not "side to side" jog.

Beyond that im short on ideas. May need to do the jog inside instead and connect to the existing liner.
Yes liners can make bends. Is your liner insulated?

Liners can make a job, but they are not made to be outside of the masonry envelope.
I'm not seeing a window on this wall. Maybe post a picture of the chimney from the outside at this location?

Yes liners can make bends. Is your liner insulated?
No the existing is not insulated

Liners can make a job, but they are not made to be outside of the masonry envelope.
I'm not seeing a window on this wall. Maybe post a picture of the chimney from the outside at this location?
If i were to put a longer liner in I would brick in the area where I am making the jog outside the house.

The window is on the second story, about 8 inches from the existing masonry chimney. Red is the existing thimble and blue would be the new thimble.

Screenshot_20220705-223823_Maps.jpg

Thank you for all the advice so far!

No the existing is not insulated

If i were to put a longer liner in I would brick in the area where I am making the jog outside the house.

The window is on the second story, about 8 inches from the existing masonry chimney. Red is the existing thimble and blue would be the new thimble.

View attachment 296805

Thank you for all the advice so far!
Building an addition to the chimney and running a new liner is possible. But it's allot of money and effort just to center the stove when off-center can be made to look just as good.

Thanks for the picture. That really helps.
But it's allot of money and effort just to center the stove when off-center can be made to look just as good.
That was my thought. This would be a very expensive way to accommodate a wall decoration.

Reactions: bholler