Connecting Lopi stove flue collar to Selkirk DSP double-wall pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DBoon

Minister of Fire
Jan 14, 2009
Central NY
I've got a new install and need some advice. The Lopi Republic 1750 stove has a flue collar that is 6" inner diameter and 6-3/4" outer diameter. I have a Selkirk stove adapter part number 266243 (DSP6SA-1) that has a crimped inner diameter of 5-29/32 and an outer diameter of 7". The stove adapter does not fit tight to the flue collar.

Since the problem is that the ID of the stove adapter is smaller than the ID of the flue collar, I can't crimp it to fit. One idea is to just take stove gasket material and insert it into the double wall air space, and then just fasten the stove adapter to the collar. Two questions about this:

1. Given that there will be a small gap between the stove adapter and the flue collar, is stove gasket the right material to prevent hot exhaust from making its way into the double wall air space?

2. The flue collar only projects above the stove by about a half inch. Is this enough to attach the stove adapter to the flue collar with three screws?

FYI, above the stove adapter I'll have a damper kit (266620, DSP6DK-1), a couple of 45 elbows, a short section of straight pipe, and all that attaches to a black stove pipe adapter (JSC6ASE) which ties all of the black pipe to vertical sections of SuperPro pipe.

Any thoughts, ideas, and comments welcome. Thanks in advance.

Is the inner crimp stopping on something inside the flue collar like a weld or bar? If no obstruction, can you seat it tighter by putting more downward pressure on the adapter? And last, have you tried seating the DSP directly on the flue collar with no adapter?

The inner pipe crimp is not stopping the adapter installation - the outer pipe is resting on the stove top. But the inner crimped pipe is only 5-29/32" - I'm not sure it will ever fit tight...but you've given me an idea - maybe I should just use an angle grinder and cut the outer pipe of the stove adapter to see if it can get the inner pipe to fit tighter?

The DSP can seat directly into the flue color with no adapter, but then the pipe will be installed in the opposite direction as indicated on the pipe (crimped section should point up, per DSP instructions) and with crimped section pointed up, all the other parts fit together correctly.

On my Lopi Answer at a different house the installation was done by the dealer with the crimped section down into the flue color, and a bunch of stove cement around the crimped pipe at the flue collar/pipe intersection. My wife says she can sometimes smell smoke - I don't like the install for that reason, but it is the one the dealer did and tells me I should do on this stove, but it seems not the best installation for a variety of reasons.

With the DSP correctly oriented, outer factory crimp up, would the pipe fit properly if the bottom, inner liner was also crimped? There's a tool for that. Or is inner liner crimping even necessary?

Thanks for all of the ideas, begreen - much appreciated.

I own a crimping tool (used it for ductwork in the past), so I'm familiar with that tool and capability, but inner liner crimping of the stove adapter isn't necessary - it's already 3/32" too small (I need to expand it instead, if anything). The crimped inner pipe is 5-29/32" to fit in a 6" ID of the flue collar.

The DSP catalog link is here http://www.selkirkcorp.com/~/media/...deldspdoublewallstovepipe_dsp002e_oct2016.pdf

The stove adapter part is on page 5 at the top. You can see the "C" dimension is 5-29/32" and the "D" dimension is 7" (stove flue collar is 6" ID and 6-3/4" OD). I think I could make the "C" dimension work (5-29/32" is the crimped dimension that normally fits into a Selkirk 6" DSP pipe) if the outer pipe wasn't as long as the inner pipe (so the crimped end could fit in a little deeper into the Lopi stove flue collar). Maybe I'd have to add a little diameter with some sort of fireproof gasket or other material wrapped around the crimped end - don't know. I'm in search of a good solution...

Thanks for all of the ideas, begreen - much appreciated.

I own a crimping tool (used it for ductwork in the past), so I'm familiar with that tool and capability, but inner liner crimping of the stove adapter isn't necessary - it's already 3/32" too small (I need to expand it instead, if anything). The crimped inner pipe is 5-29/32" to fit in a 6" ID of the flue collar.

The DSP catalog link is here http://www.selkirkcorp.com/~/media/...deldspdoublewallstovepipe_dsp002e_oct2016.pdf

The stove adapter part is on page 5 at the top. You can see the "C" dimension is 5-29/32" and the "D" dimension is 7" (stove flue collar is 6" ID and 6-3/4" OD). I think I could make the "C" dimension work (5-29/32" is the crimped dimension that normally fits into a Selkirk 6" DSP pipe) if the outer pipe wasn't as long as the inner pipe (so the crimped end could fit in a little deeper into the Lopi stove flue collar). Maybe I'd have to add a little diameter with some sort of fireproof gasket or other material wrapped around the crimped end - don't know. I'm in search of a good solution...
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm thinking maybe some self-adhesive door glass gasket would work here if that's the plan.

I have a 1750 with double wall as well. My double wall sits directly on the collar with no adapter. It's screwed in through the inner wall.

I'm thinking maybe some self-adhesive door glass gasket would work here if that's the plan.
Yes, that is the plan, and since you are seconding that idea, I'll give it a try, along with the idea below.

My double wall sits directly on the collar with no adapter. It's screwed in through the inner wall.
What stove pipe are you using? The OD of the Selkirk DSP is 6-1/2", which is 1/4" too small to do that. Hence the need for the stove adapter.

I took my adapter for the Flame Monaco and tapped the crimp out on my anvil for the same reason. After smoothing the crimp out it fit tight......
That's a great idea - I'll give that a try tomorrow.

DBoon Im in the same predicament as i am installing a new lopi 1750. Did you ever come up with a solution? What about the flush stove adapter dsp makes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Brucek1$, I did successfully adapt my pipe to the 1750 flue collar - I won't say it was the most elegant solution. I can say that it seems to work just fine (no odors in the house), but it is not what I would have considered a really "great" adaptation (note: I am a detail-oriented engineer, so chances are that I have a higher standard than most). I can take some pictures this weekend and post them, if you wish (I am away from the house for the week).

Reactions: begreen
Hi Brucek1$, I did successfully adapt my pipe to the 1750 flue collar - I won't say it was the most elegant solution. I can say that it seems to work just fine (no odors in the house), but it is not what I would have considered a really "great" adaptation (note: I am a detail-oriented engineer, so chances are that I have a higher standard than most). I can take some pictures this weekend and post them, if you wish (I am away from the house for the week).
That would be great, id really appreciate it.

Did you ever get a chance to get some pictures?

Brucek1$, I had the same problem connecting to my jotul f600. The Selkirk flush stove adapter that you mentioned worked great for me.

It's been a busy summer and fall for me working on my home renovation. Sorry for the picture post delay.

The Lopi flue color seems an oddly weird size incompatible with double-wall flue pipe. In any case, I connected to it with a Selkirk DSP-C connector to my stovepipe. Note the screws I added holding it to the flue collar. I also bought some thin stove gasket to try to fill the gap between the DSP-C and the Lopi outer diameter of the flue collar - that didn't work so well (too thick), but I don't think it is really necessary in any case. IMG_2693.JPG IMG_2698.JPG

Reactions: begreen
Brucek1$, did you ever try the DSP flush adapter? Does anyone have experience with the flush adapter for a Lopi stove?

Specifically, I’m hooking up a Lopi Answer, and the DSP pipe does not fit to the flue collar. It looks as if I could trim away the outer pipe to fit the inner down into the collar, but I’m hesitant to start cutting into it...

Brucek1$, did you ever try the DSP flush adapter? Does anyone have experience with the flush adapter for a Lopi stove?

Specifically, I’m hooking up a Lopi Answer, and the DSP pipe does not fit to the flue collar. It looks as if I could trim away the outer pipe to fit the inner down into the collar, but I’m hesitant to start cutting into it...
I ended up just going with singlewall and using mortor to seal it, worked great no issues, but i did talk with a rep from dsp and he told me i could have cust the flush adapter outer collar if needed to get it to sit farther in the stove collar, id give them a call and talk with them, they were very helpful

To fit DSP to a Lopi Liberty (similar collar issue) I cut a short section of single wall for a adapter. Worked perfect.