Connecting open storage to a closed system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodChoppa

Hearth Supporter
May 21, 2010
N.D.
Just in the planning stages right now but I am looking at attaching a Polar G-2 gasifier which is an open boiler to a used 800 gal. stainless steel tank that I am thinking about purchasing. Problem is I don't think the tank is pressure rated and it's biggest access port is only about 8" so I don't see installing copper heat-exchange coils in the tank as an option.

I would like to keep the existing in-floor system in the house closed and was thinking that installing a big flat plate exchanger on the house side of the tank and boiler may be a reasonable solution. The boiler would simply dump it's heat into the tank directly which would be drawn off the top through another port into the external heat exchanger. Basically the way most Garn's are set up, I think....

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.