Connecting Selkirk double wall pipe to single wall existing pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
Pardon my possible lack of appropriate terminology - (still) a newbie here.

After having had some fun with a (very) old (and decrepit) DutchWest FA264CCL, I have (per advice from here) upgraded to a new BK Chinook 30.
As I bought this (new in crate!) from Craigslist, I got a few Selkirk double wall pieces. However, as the old stove only had single wall piping, I have a single wall piece of pipe going (horizontally) through a wall, and the thimble (?) there obviously does not fit around the larger OD of a double wall pipe.

So, after going out and up from the BK with a 2 ft double wall section, and through a "4 times 45 deg" double wall elbow (both Selkirk), how do I connect to the horizontal (single wall) pipe going through the wall?

(I note that I am not very concerned about draft (yet?) as I'm coming from the basement, and the brick+SS liner chimney goes all the way up past the main floor, past the second floor and the attic - suggesting I should have enough pull there to handle a 2.5 ft single wall section without too much hassle. At least the 15 ft + 2 ft (elbows) + 3 ft (horizontal) = 20 ft is less than what I have vertically outside - if you think this may cause trouble, pls let me know.)

Basement installs can be iffy for draft but with that kind of height you should have plenty of draw, even for a 30. ;)

Whoa, what kinda deal did you get on that!??

All I can say is: a very good one. Someone bought it, didn't like it, and never unpacked it.

Someone bought it, didn't like it, and never unpacked it.
How did they know they didn't like it if they never unpacked it?? :confused:
I just saw it's an outside chimney. They lose more heat, and some draft, but I still think you'll be OK with an insulated liner..

How did they know they didn't like it if they never unpacked it?? :confused:
I just saw it's an outside chimney. They lose more heat, and some draft, but I still think you'll be OK with an insulated liner..

Well, the story was more complicated, with an exchange with BK (Ashford to Chinook), and while waiting for that to happen buying another brand, so ending up with a Chinook in a crate. But it does not matter - it's my luck.

You are correct about my chimney.
Any insight on connecting the DSP Selkirk elbow to a single wall pipe? It does not seem to fit, and the only adapter Selkirk appears to sell is a stove adapter.

Any insight on connecting the DSP Selkirk elbow to a single wall pipe? It does not seem to fit, and the only adapter Selkirk appears to sell is a stove adapter.
So if I'm understanding this correctly from the stove collar your going up using double wall then (2) 45deg elbows then a small piece of single wall to marry the black pipe to the crock in the masonry?
It can be done, your going to have to crimp the end of the single wall a little to have it empty into the double wall pipe, but its not the best setup, your going to want to do a insulated liner to a thimble then adapter to the double wall.
Keep in mind your setup is not recommended by BK due to the potential of lots of creosote forming from condensing already cool flue gases.

So if I'm understanding this correctly from the stove collar your going up using double wall then (2) 45deg elbows then a small piece of single wall to marry the black pipe to the crock in the masonry?
It can be done, your going to have to crimp the end of the single wall a little to have it empty into the double wall pipe, but its not the best setup, your going to want to do a insulated liner to a thimble then adapter to the double wall.
Keep in mind your setup is not recommended by BK due to the potential of lots of creosote forming from condensing already cool flue gases.

Thank you.
Yes, you are understanding correctly: double wall 2 ft up, double wall elbow, then approx 2.5 ft of single wall.
I'll borrow a crimping tool (why buy one when I don't think I'll ever be using it again...) and see if I can make this work.

I could buy another section of double wall, and cut a significant piece of the single wall pipe off, to minimize the single wall length - at the cost of another seam.

But before I do that, isn't the premise of a cat stove that the precursors of creosote won't reach the chimney? (My Dutchwest piping was immaculate after using it for one season; on the all single wall pipes the (on surface, magnetic) flue thermometer read around 300 F most of the time with the cat engaged.)
So, do you have (or know someone here that has) experience getting creosote in this way, by having a section of single wall in there with a BK?

But before I do that, isn't the premise of a cat stove that the precursors of creosote won't reach the chimney? (My Dutchwest piping was immaculate after using it for one season; on the all single wall pipes the (on surface, magnetic) flue thermometer read around 300 F most of the time with the cat engaged.)
So, do you have (or know someone here that has) experience getting creosote in this way, by having a section of single wall in there with a BK?
Efficiency is why there is cooler flue gases, yes the harmful grams per hour are reduced but there still is a soot by-product after exiting the cat.

And even with a catalytic burner, during the period of time it takes to get the stove up to cat' temperature, there can be soot/etc. running up the pipe until those temp's get up to cat level. Over a period of time, creosote can accumulate. Longer time than a non-cat stove, of course. That being said, on my cat stove, yearly pipe cleaning is adequate and I don't see a lot of accumulation. Mostly some soot.

But the point being, catalytic stoves do not issue zero problematic compounds, just not very much or for very long.

And even with a catalytic burner, during the period of time it takes to get the stove up to cat' temperature, there can be soot/etc. running up the pipe until those temp's get up to cat level. Over a period of time, creosote can accumulate. Longer time than a non-cat stove, of course. That being said, on my cat stove, yearly pipe cleaning is adequate and I don't see a lot of accumulation. Mostly some soot.

But the point being, catalytic stoves do not issue zero problematic compounds, just not very much or for very long.

sorry for the late reply. I understand.
Thanks for both for your generous help!