Connecting wood burning stove to existing chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SteveC69

Oct 24, 2020
Washington Mo
I'm installing a wood burning stove to an existing chimney that was closed off before I bought the house. I lowered a camera through the chimney and it looks fine. I'm thinking that it was probably closed off to save on home owners insurance or something like that. My main question is how to connect the stove pipe to the chimney. It is brick interior with no combustable near it. I'm thinking that I should chisel out an opening and cement a clay or stainless pipe into the brick through to the flue liner, and protrude out into the room a few inches to connect the stove pipe to. I can't seem to find any info on exactly what kind of connector pipe I need. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Forums !!!

Pics are gonna be a huge help here !!

There are several factors to consider before hooking up a stove that should be answered first. The chimney may not be safe or appropriately sized for the stove.
  1. Is the chimney clay tile-lined or just brick inside?
  2. What is the ID of chimney?
  3. What is the flue collar diameter of the stove?
  4. Are there any other patched take-offs from the chimney or is anything else already attached to this chimney?
  5. Is the chimney out in the open and with 2" clearances from any combustible all the way through the roof?
  6. Is the chimney clean and free of any creosote deposits?
As Dix indicated, pictures are welcome.

Thanks for the info. Here is the answer to the above questions.
1. The chimney it clay lined
2. I think the chimney is 8" x 8"
3. The stove is 6" diameter outlet
4. Nothing else is attached to the chimney. There is a clean out that has been bricked up also.
5. There are no combustables near the chimney.
6. I lowered a camera through the chimney and it appears to be good. I can upload the video to youtube if nessasary.

Basically, I'm just trying to find out what kind of thimble to use. There is just so little info on the subject. I visited a local wood stove store who recommended I just cement the steel stove pipe into the flue. So I just walked out. I did find a 6" i.d. clay pipe thimble at Menards that I will have to order. So I'll probably do that and see if I can get the stove pipe to match this. I was just hoping that I wasn't the first person in the world to do this, and that there would be off the shelf products.